Return pump question

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Anonymous, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ok, i have built my overflow, and i'm looking to get a 15 gallon tank for my sump (biggest thing i can get to fit under a 55) what should i be using for a return pump. My stand is 36" so it is pumping up almost 5 ft. I was thinking a Mag7 with a ball valve so i can turn it down a bit if needed. I'm looking to get around 500 gph. Any other reliable pumps that are cheaper or better for around the same price?
    Curt

2. renfest1

renfest1 Kole Tang

Remember that your sump has to contain all of the water that drains out of the tank should you loose power. If your 15 gallon sump has 10 gallons in it, but the overflow releases 7 gallons, you have 2 gallons of water on the floor.

3. bmb527

bmb527 Marine Betta

A 38 gallon tank fits in a 55 gallon stand. That was my first tank setup.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

what are the dimensions of a 38 gallon tank??? I'm open to any other suggestions too. I have a feeling a 38 although it may technically fit under it, will have no way of possibly getting in through the opening inthe back.
    I would plan on running the 15 at around 8-9 gallons, with the overflow total being around 4. Does this sound possible??? Any idea of a good tuppaware container that would fit under the tank? I'm still not sure what size pump to use, im thinking the MAG7 would be fine though.
    Curt

5. bmb527

bmb527 Marine Betta

I'll measure the 38 from front to back, but it is 36" long. It may fit through the back, but it is far easier to drain your tank and drop it through the top of the stand. You could also remove the center brace in the back temporarily and slide it right in.
    Bill

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i would definately rather remove the center brace if i was to put it in, i'd hate to take out all my stuff. Draining the tank sucks. So you think a mag7 would be adequate?
    Curt

ps. If it makes it easier, or if your bored and want to talk about possible setups, IM me at ChoudrantRacing on aim.