Sailfin Tang Sick

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Reef_Tank_Greg, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

Hey all.. Just moved my tank over the weekend. HUGE thanks to James (jammer) for helping me get it set back up on Sunday morning. For the most part, everything survived the move well.

My sailfin is not doing so great though. It's swimming fine but mostly in one area. The problem is a milky film over it's eyes. The center of the eye is sorta caked with a thicker white substance. Pretty much seems to be blind because it doe snot respond to any movement I make, food, etc. Any idea what this is and what I can do to help the fish, if anything?

2. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

As far as stuff being added to the tank, a mandarin was added about a month ago. About all in recent months. I do not believe the fish was injured. It was quite active as usual all day yesterday. This morning it looked like it does now.

I do have a large rbta in the tank. What do you mean by causing foam?

Tried to hurry to Petsmart to buy some regardless, but was a few minutes too late, had just closed.

3. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

Definately contact them before using them together. I think you have to use diffirent dosages of each when you mix them. Too much of either could easily kill your fish.

4. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

I called Aquarium Pharmaceuticals this morning and described the fish's illness to them. They recommended that I use Melafix for the problem. The guy also said I should supplement that with "General Cure" but only if I had the fish in a qt. He said that if it is a parasitic ailment, that may be the only way to cure the fish.

However, he said from my description the Melafix should work. He suggested using Pimafix as a secondary medication just to cover all possible causes.

So... I tried to catch the fish but amazingly I can't! He's still got a lot of energy and can swim well. Only problem was he swims right into stuff. So, rather than fight trying to catch it and have it injure itself, I left it in the tank.

I went to PetsMart at about 9am and got Melafix and Pimafix. Then came home and administered the proper dosage to my tank.

Then I left and worked, then finished moving stuff so just getting in... The good news is the fish is still alive. It's about the same as yesterday, altho some of the mucous on the eyes seems to have diminished. Its eyes really look baddddd tho. I've not seen it eat since Sunday so keeping my fingers crossed that it gets better and can see food before it starves.

Will administer the medication for the next few days and hope it makes it!

5. Good Luck! I know losing fish is sometimes like losing family. :cry:

6. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

Had this particular fish for nearly two and a half years now.. In fact, it is the only remaining fish from my old tank.

This morning it's still alive.. Pretty active and swimming around the tank, instead of just in one place. The eyes look a little better as I can see its eyeball a bit now. Still pretty nasty looking though.

Only actinics are on right now though.. I'll try some food when the mh's come on in a couple hours. Tried some flakes just now, but no success. Then again, no fish were going for them. They all just "woke up" so.....

7. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

Just a brief update. The eye problems are still there and have not changed very much. It did eat a little bit of mysis late this morning - emphasis on little bit. I soaked it with a couple drops of garlic xtreme for about thirty minutes before feeding. I will be feeding the same this evening. Otherwise the fish has most of its color now, but still seems to be blind.

8. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

Well... The fish is still living! It's still staying down in either corner of the tank though and I have not seen it eat. Although it remains active. It's also not opening and closing its mouth rapidly like fish do when they are stressed.

The eyes though... Wow, they have cleared up big time. Still not quite back to normal but.. Early in the week it was like blotches of silicone were applied to each eye. I literally could not see the eyeball, or any of the coloration in the eye. Just a white blotchy substance covering the general area.

Well, here are a couple photos from just now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. If he is active that is usually a good sign, and you did say he has become more active as time has went on. I think thats a good thing. Steve is right though, you may want to cut the halides until he comes around, the bright light may be hurting his eyes. He also seem a little pale, probably just from being weak and not eating much. i hope he pulls through, from what you are saying, seem like it will make a full recovery. ;)

10. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

It's still staying around the bottom of the tank, but not really in one place any more. I have not been running the halides as much as usual and have been feeding under actinics only. It is not visibly eating when I feed, but has picked at the sand bed and lower rock work from time to time.

It is somewhat responsive to me when I go up to the tank now as well. Otherwise, it looks healthy and colorful now. Just wish it would go after food, then I'd feel more confident about it. Foods soaked in either garlic or selcon have not done the trick.

I am pretty certain this fish would have perished without your quick responses and advice last week Steve. Thanks for the help! :)

Hopefully it will continue to improve.

11. gl

good luck with him. Hopefully he'll start eating soon.
    Curt

12. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

SUCCESS!!!!!

I should have thought of that myself. I put a few pieces of red seaweed select on a clip down near the sand bed about an hour ago. The fish is now aggressively tearing it up!

Thank you!

13. GREAT, SUCCESS!!!!! :lol:

14. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

It's now been eating from the clip off and on for about three hours now.

15. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

Nope, not really much improvement there. it's sorta responsive to me when I put my face to the tank near it but that's about all. I'm worried that I will end up having a blind fish that is otherwise healthy. It's at least able to eat well now from the clip. However, the clip has to be down at the bottom.

16. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

I had already done one water change a couple days after moving in, then another the following weekend. I just did a third on Tuesday of this week. 20 gallons at a time for each. More than usual obviously, but just being safe after the move.

Anyways..... I started medicating the tank again on Monday and within hours the tang's eyes started looking bad again -- medication driving the infection out and causing this? Just sorta like a little bubble over the eyeball on each eye now.

Good news is I can feed it with ease now from the clip and it is otherwise still looking healthy and stays active. It does not always stay down at the bottom anymore, it kida swims halfway up near the ends of the tank. At least I am confident that I can keep it alive while I try to cure it.

17. I remember almost the same thing happening to my Hippo Tang once. I didnt really notice it not eating, it still had its appetite and everything. Are you sure this isnt Pop Eye affecting the fish now. You had mentioned what appeared to be bubbles over each eye. That to me sounds like Pop Eye, are you certain that somewhere along the lines no copper was introduced into the system in the move ? In my case what happened was i was using a store bought R/O water, and then found out it was processed through copper tubing at the plant that processed it. Needless to say i stopped using the water and did more frequent than usual water changes, and within a weeks time the eyes were both back to normal. Maybe im wrong here, just taking a stab at it.

18. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

One of it's eyes is a bit bad looking still, but at this point that does not seem to be troubling the fish too much. Doing a water change per week in the meantime.

It's pretty active, eats a little mysis now too. Swims to about mid-level of he tank regularly. The rest of the fish are starting to be social with it again sometimes. The tang usually was the leader of the tank and the rest sorta followed it.

19. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

20. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

hmmm, wonder why? just connected remotely to work computer and can view from it too. wanted to see if i just had it in cache here somehow.