Salt mixes

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Kirk_M, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Could someone give a review of the salt mixes they use? I'm particularly interested in brands other than IO and Oceanic. IO Has too low of a Ca level, and Oceanic has constantly lead to brown algae development in my previous tank. What else are you all using and what are the Ca and Alk levels achieved on mixing, specifically, at 1.025 SG.

2. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

i have found tropic marin and hawaiian marine were the best salts that are readily available. marine environment with the little bottle of trace elements is the absolute hands down best sea salt created. i bought three 50g bags of it back in 03 that lasted four months. that was probably the best four months my tank ever seen. what kept me from continuiosly using it is with shipping i paid $39 a bag. anyway i would suggest hawaiian marine over tropic marin. but if you can find marine environment for a decent price give it a try.

*edited to change 93 to 03 it wasnt really that long ago lol.*

3. I was reading on RC that for the price, oceanpure was one of the better salt mixes out there. Calcium and alkalinity were in the nsw range, but magnesium was low. If your not running stony reef, the the mg wouldn't be a big deal. Equal to theoceanpure was tropic marin, but they are more expensive, especially on the initial setup side. TM didn't have the mg issue. I'll try to find the link.

Here's one: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... did=498619

4. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

Typo, do you mind if I copy your post?? The CEO of Aquacraft is a buddy of mine and he does enjoy reading posts like yours....

I agree that Marine enviroment is a great salt, but it is a tad pricey. I'd recommend that you lay your hands on a few bags of the next lower grade salt they offer.....BioSea is the name of it.

Mike sent me about 250g of BioSea to try out in my new 29g tank and I must say that so far I'm impressed. It mixes very fast and clear with no residue remaining at the bottom of the bucket like the other salt I use <IO>. Calcium tested to the range that I like to maintain <400>. My only beef with it was that I mixed 1 bag of 25g mix with exactly 25g of water and the SG came out to about 1.017 which is just a bit lower than what I want. However, I'm using 2 different swing arm hydrometers instead of a refractometer so I can write off the SG to using POS equipment....

Also, check out this link... http://www.aquacraft.net/s9914.html
    The prices are a bit cheaper than what David let on...I believe the prices listed are with shipping included. Regardless, it's not the least expensive salt on the market by a long shot, but when you consider the cost of a cheaper salt added to the cost of whatever suppliments <like CA> you have to add to it to get the levels where they need to be, it'll work out pretty much the same....but with less effort on your part

5. Thanks for the link Jared. Do you have a link to the S-15 report they talk about?
    *Edit - Nevermind got the link

6. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

sure!

7. Kirk_M

I had heard of the Marine Environment, but was kind of skeptical of the "little bottle" and also the fact that the S-15 report is an INTERNAL study, done by AquaCraft, for AquaCraft. That's why I was hesitant to try it without getting some input from people who have actually used it and tested its levels.

Jared,

I'd have to agree with you, 1.017 is low. Even with the swing arm being off, it may have really mixed it to, let's say, 1.020, but, that's still on the low side. Since you know the guy, do you think he'd let us do a group buy if anyone was interested?

8. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

I've been using IO, but I think I am going to make the switch to MARINE ENVIRONMENT® and see what happens. Sounds good anyways.

9. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

As was mentioned in Kirk's post . . .

I would be interested in trying the Marine Environment mix as well, as my Reef Crystals bucket is almost empty.

I would definitely be down for a group buy if it can be arranged

10. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

I'll take a 50g bag.

*edit* Maybe two if the price is right.

11. Im gonna try TropicMarin Pro on ym new tank. Hopefully it gives me some good results.

-Mike

12. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

I'll see what I can do about a case of Marine Enviroment....

Give me until the middle of next month and I can afford to buy it myself and ya'll can pay me back...I think that would be the easiest thing to do...

I'll send an email right now to see what kinda price I can get and get back to ya'll...

13. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

Count me in on a group buy of ME. The only reason I have not tried it so far is the price.

14. Ive always heard awesome things about Tropic Marin, but ive never used it personally. When i first started in the hobby, i wasnt really aware of the huge differences in salt mixes and i was using Red Sea salt mix. I found myself continuously having problems with ph, and would have to aerate the water 2 hours before using to raise the ph. So i then made the switch to Instant Ocean, and everything has been fine since. I do find when using this salt mix, it is a little low on the Calcium side (380 with a sg of 0.125) in a 5 gallon mix. Ive also noticed Alkalinity to be useable, but a little lower than i would like. Also Magnesium is also useable, but again lower than what i like. That is the only reason i use the Kent Essential Elements . I know it contains other trace that i am replacing with every other week water changes, but all are low enough to not really matter.

15. Kirk_M

Pure Junk

I ordered some of the Marine Environment Dual Phase from the manufacturer. I only wanted a 50 gallon mix, but, the English-as-a-second-language operator there heard me wrong and sent me a 150 G bag. I wrote them an email, explaining I ordered ONE fifty gallon box not a one-hundred-fifty gallon box, and, they reversed the charges, actually giving it to me for free, even though I insisted on paying the 50G box charge as a compromise. End of good news. I mixed it as per the instructions -- you have to mix it ALL at once and dump the whole "little bottle" in at one time. Luckily, I have 150 gallons of mixing space, so, I did. I let it mix for several hours, and then tested it. Calcium is elevated at about 520 via a brand new salifert kit, and the ALK is horrible at about 4 dKH, also via salifert. Even worse, the pH is 8.6+ (the salifert kit tops out at this pH -- it ws INTENSE BLUE, so it's probably more). All I can say is that I am glad I didn't pay for this crap. STAY AWAY. IO it will remain for the time being. Was just tired of having to add Ca each time I mixed. Too bad I can't water the yard with it...what a waste of 150G of RO/DI.

16. Kirk_M

Edit:

I made an error when testing pH. I had taken out a 5 gallon sample, and tested the alk & Ca levels first. Once I saw how low the alk was, I added some of Kent's alk buffer to it, BEFORE testing pH. So, the alk buffer shot the pH up really high, it seems. When I tested it again today, 24 hours later, the pH was only 7.7.

17. bmb527 Marine Betta

I have a friend in Colorado that tried Aqua Medic salt, he liked it so much he became a distributor for them. Other than that, I have heard great things about Tropic Marin, as well as Crystal Sea. I personally like Oceanic. I have never had any algea problems with it, I could just be lucky though.
    As for ph being higher, Anthony Calfo told my club that ph of sea water is in the 8.6 range, but being as our buffers are based on baking soda, and it has a max ph of 8.3 to 8.4, that is where our ranges are stuck at.
    Also, if people use additives and Ca reactors and such, why use an expensive salt mix that adds the things we dose? I will probably stick with Oceanic or IO for now.
    If anyone is interested in the Aqua Medic, I can put you in touch with my friend who sells it.
    Bill

18. good site to get salt mix

Where is a good place to order IO or another adequate salt mix from. I'm tired of having to buy saltwater from the LFS.
    Curt

19. i just noticed that the marnie environment two phase mix is only $14.95 for the 50 gal. at premium aquatics. There was a $11 shipping option for me, so that is $26 to my door.
    Curt

20. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

Re: good site to get salt mix

If your looking for IO try PetSmart. First off go to their website and print up a copy of the price it is cheaper than the instore price and they will honor it.