Sea hare... starting a list.

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Conceyted, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Conceyted

Conceyted Fire Shrimp

So I finally decided to get rid of the hair algae in our 20 gallon reef by using a sea hare. I ordered one off of liveaquaria.com and it came in today. He is a lot bigger than I expected him to be (about 4-5") but none the less hes here and in the tank. Looks real healthy and has already grazed on some caulperna and hair. However, when he cleans how the tank I will need someone to take him off my hands. I have heard of clubs passing sea hares around as needed so they stay alive and well, for this reason I would like to start a list. I will need him I am guessing about a month total... basically as long as it takes to clean the 20 long. Who needs him after me? just post here :)

2. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

my 30g frag tank is currenty going through a hair a.lgae outbreak- the 120g that it's p.lumbed into isn't having the problem for some reason.

if the lawnmower blenny i just added doesn't fix the problem, i just may have use for a sea hare!

3. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

i can use him also, i've had a suddent outbreak of algea and its nearly cleaned up by my blenny but there is still some here and there that he wont touch

4. You're not scared of this?:

Caution: This fish secretes or releases toxins that may kill fish in the aquarium. The species may release toxic compounds when stressed, or release toxic compounds when it dies. LiveAquaria.com cannot accept responsibility for any loss that may occur should this animal poison the aquarium.

5. Conceyted

Conceyted Fire Shrimp

nope. My tank with the hair algae is currently housing one fish and has great filtration to pull anything it might release out of the water. Besides, people always said the same about cucumbers and I have kept mant different species of cucumbers with no problem at all. Maybe I am just lucky?

6. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

i think these guys only leach their poisons if they are really stressed, like if they get caught in a pump or what not. Mark's marine has been having one for quite a while and they have enver had any porblems with it that i know of

7. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Heh...yeah, they are huge. For future reference, try out a lettuce nudibranch. They are quite compact, and, man, do they mow hair algae down. I have one left from my reeftopia order, and I have no hair algae left (the other one committed suicide by Tunze)...Even new corals that had a little bit of hair algae on them get mowed clean in short order.

--Kirk

8. Conceyted

Conceyted Fire Shrimp

thanks kirk... I actially have a lettuce nudi in here atm. Just added him a week or two ago. But he is kinda small and my hair algae is pretty big :)

9. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Chris,

If you need another lettuce nudi, let me know. I'd rather give it away to someone with a hair algae problem than have it die.

-Kirk

10. Conceyted

Conceyted Fire Shrimp

shoot I would take it in a hear beat... my hair is out of controll and the more the merrier atm :)

11. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

if anyone has one of these guys to donate lemme know, espically if you are goin to the august meet