Seio's on a timer.

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by Anonymous, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Is there anyone here who is doing this, and if so how is it working out. Is the Seio capable of operating on an on/off regimen. What im trying to accomplish is a calm sea effect. Im getting mad extension from my LPS and my shrooms get huge with less flow in the tank. When i turn off the Seio for a small period in the day, everything just blows up and gets crazy swollen and huge. I believe Rick in NO used to do this in his SPS tank, but not everyday, maybe just a couple times a week. Ive even heard of people simulating rainy, cloudy days maybe once in a while by only running the Actintics for that day, is there any positive outcome to these simulations besides realism in duplicating nature. Im really more interested to know if the Seio can handle the on/off sequence. I turn it off for about 6 hours in the middle of the day. Any feed back or opinions would be appreciated.

2. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

Nope, the seio cant handle being repeatedly turned on/off, but if youll wait a few weeks the new controller is supposed to be coming out.

3. Yeah i know, i seen that! Ill probably just go ahead and get one. How many Seios does the controller actually control though, i hope atleast 2 huh ?

4. Coyle

Coyle Ko-Ko Worm

i heard that controller is really pricey...

5. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

No idea on the price, but from what ive read it will only controll 2 pumps

6. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

It's worth it if you want a wavemaker type system. The seios are kinda like rio pumps, after a while if you turn them off you might not get it back on lol

7. Ive been running Seios pretty much in every tank ive ever had and ive never had a problem getting them to turn back on, same with the Rios, ive never had any problems with them either. JME ;)

8. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

I have a rio 17hf on my tank right now and if i turn it off to do a water change (or for any reason) it takes like 15 minutes of me messing with the impeller to get it back pumping. I hate it, worse thing i ever bought for my tank.

9. I used a 12hf on my 29g seahorse tank. After the third pump in 6 months I got frusterated and tapped the pump on the bottem of the sump. The pump started but I cracked the bottem of the 10g tank I was useing as the sump. After a midnight run to Wal Mart to get another tank, a lot of cussing and mess, It was up and running again. I traded the pump back in the next morning for a mag5. A year later it still turnes on and off like new.

10. Palancar

Palancar Ex-Acan Collector LARC Supporter