Snail in zoos?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by NormanB, Jun 13, 2006.

1. NormanB

NormanB Bangaii Cardinal

I have what looks like a snail that stays in my zoos most of the time. They really haven't been doing so well lately so, is this possibily a bad snail? It's small maybe a 1/4" in diameter and is white and black. I'll try to get a pic and post to help with the ID.

Thanks

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey Norman

This little black and white snail is a sundial and does eat zoas.

[​IMG]

You will want to pick any you see off! Also carefully look for any eggs. If you have a q-tank you may want to isolate these zoas to keep them from infecting any of your others.

(Edited to give Melev props for the pic! :P)

3. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

yep...those zoos "aren't doing well" because they are being eaten!!!

:D

Funny true story now!! I was in a LFS up north someplace, either AR or TN, I don't remember.....I was looking @ some zoos & saw some of those snails in their colonies. I casually mentioned to a sales guy that those snails were bad news and pointed out where they'd eaten a swath through a good sized colony and the guy tells me I'm full of hocky!!! "there's no snails that eat coral" was his next gem of wisdom to gush forth....I gritted my teeth and just walked out, leaving many things I WAS going to purchase floating in the bags in their tank....

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They can't say you didn't try and warn them, JLouv! Ah well, maybe he changed his mind about "no coral eating snails" after his stock got all gobbled up.

And NormanB keep us posted on your zoas. They will probably be just fine after you get the snails removed. :)

5. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

JLouv,

I've had the same thing happen to me...mentioned it to a sales person that those type eat zoas, after asking if it was for sale first (to test and see what this person knew about what they were selling), I then told this person they eat the zoas...only to see more of them on the same colony a week later, left alone on the colonies to eat them up, plain as day.

6. NormanB

NormanB Bangaii Cardinal

Casie, you nailed that snail! Thanks so much for the quick response and accurate ID. I will remove tonight when I get home.

I will keep everyone informed on how my zoos do after the Death Star has been removed.

7. rivrat

rivrat Black Perc

I had one of them snails before and it took out about 3/4s of my fire and ice zoos before I seen what it was.

Steve