SPS Colonies

Discussion in 'Small Polyp Stonies' started by ronniem, Jul 9, 2006.

1. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

Where do you guys buy your SPS colonies from? I purchased a few frags a month ago and now I am SPS bit. I want to get a few colonies for my 125gl since the frags look tiny in there.

2. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

I've bought a couple colonies of Acropora from Something Fishy in Baton Rouge and some from Rick's reef in Kenner.

Last time I was at Rick's though, I was talking with him about selling frags, cuz I'm more apt to buy frags then whole colonies. Through the course of conversation, a recent ReeferMadness order I had made came up and Rick said the corals he gets in are from the same wholesaler that RM gets theirs from . . .

so if you're not wanting to make a trip, maybe look into ordering from RM- I have placed 3 orders with them and been very satisfied.

HTH

3. southerncoralfarms

southerncoralfarms Black Perc

He does not get them from the same place Chris from RM gets them from... I am friends with Chris and he gets them from my agent.....

4. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

who is your agent?

rick get his corals from pacific aqua farms which used to lease space to reefer madness until they opened his own building.

5. ronniem

thanks for the info. Are the colonies on RM wild?

6. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

Coral Connection sells colonies pretty often, but they get cleaned out pretty quickly and the prices are rather high on larger colonies

7. ronniem

I have never seen any colonies at CC. I saw a couple at Ricks before.
    What day do CC and Ricks get there shipments in? By Sat. seems the good stuff is always gone.

8. southerncoralfarms

My agent's name is Tanya and she is in no way associated with pacific aquatics. He gets the nicer stuff because he gets to hand pick it while it is being re-oxygenated at the port in LA. But that is the advantage to being in LA. Chris and I have been friends for a while and have a good working relationship.

9. As far as I know, everything on the "monty's hand picked" page is wild. The "aquacultured" page has mostly maricultured (grown out in shallow lagoons) and occasionally aquacultured (grown in propagation facilities or in someones tank).

As mentioned earlier, Rick's and CC's is good for the N.O. area. I like these online spots:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/index.cfm?ref=3635&subref=AS

http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/sps.html

10. Conceyted

Conceyted Fire Shrimp

nice I knew about liveaquaria divers den (get many fish from there) and also about reefermadness.us but not about atlantisaquarium.net. I really like that link! Thanks a ton!

11. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

what do you mean he picks it as it get re-oxygenated at the port? that makes it sound like everything imported stops at one particular place to be rebagged and your agent cherry picks everything before so and so gets it. do i have that right? is this what she told you? if so im affraid youve bought into some sales pitch. she may cherry pick through several wholesalers tanks(her main stop is probably PAF since they are the exclusive walt smith distributor) but so do hundreds of other cherry pickers. all of these wholesalers reside primarily one one street within the LAX property. there is no such port that everything passes through to get reoxygenated.

12. southerncoralfarms

For example, importer X has 20 boxes of acros shipped in for resale. Most of these are Walt Smith distributors. If you by transhipped coral, a reputable, GOOD distributor will re-ox the acros before sending them on to you. Chris at RM is one of the guys who waits for these shipments to arrive and he goes down there to get the best of the best. You are right in that bunches of retailers are there waiting, but Chris for example, is good friends with the guys at the port. He doesn't just order in assorted random coral for his business. He picks them out. I can tell him exactly what I want and he can get it. Tanya is the same way. I can tell her EXACTLY what to get me and I have no surprises when it arrives. It's all about the relationships you develop with them. Send them a king cake or red beans....things like that....... I do not sell coral anymore, so don't think I'm here as a business trying to discreetly advertise. I found out that I am way too busy for that. Maybe someday in the future, but for now, no way. I"m not trying to say Rick or anyone else gets junk. All I am saying is that if you know the right people, you can get exactly what you are looking for. If you desire, you can oder a box of 15 montipora that are green with a purple rim. It's all about the relationships....

13. southerncoralfarms

you are right though....all corals don't stop to be re-ox'd.... And all corals that arrive at the ports that are re-ox'd aren't for resale at the port. When I would order a box of acros, they would be re-ox'd and sent right on to me. Hopefully someone didn't go through them and take out the good stuff........ :cry:

14. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

she is a jobber that sounds like she has really good connections. they definitely do get the best of the best corals and they usually charge a fee for this service. goerge gets some of his corals this way.

i also know that you can tranship acros from unopened boxes but they usually died within days so we stopped going that route(esp. in summer we sometimes had 80% death within a day).

also if it comes from walt smith it goes through PAF's tanks since they are the lone distributer for walt smith corals. chris also has a direct link to walt corals and a few others might but gavin pretty much has the exclusive deal.

Rick only gets the 'nicest' corals when he gets two shipments a week. something about spending money like that will get gavin out there before he lets the cherry pickers in. lol

15. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

Walt Smith . . . . I was trying to remember the name that was on the side of the RM box- that was it. So maybe both of you are right to some extent. I definitely have a box that was shipped to me with the Walt Smith wholesalers name on it. . .so one can assume that RM does get some, but maybe not ALL, of his corals from PAF

16. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

needless to say though, if that is true, then yes, Rick's corals come from the same lots as the ones on RM ;)

17. Conceyted

Conceyted Fire Shrimp

how much does it cost to get some corals cherry picked for you without having to shop on websites? I could produce a list of 10-20 sps colonies I am looking for and easily spend 2 grand + right?

18. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

chris doesnt exactly get from PAF but he did lease tankspace from gavin at PAF before he opened his building. im pretty sure chris gets from other places but more so directly from walt smith. chris and walt are pretty good friends if im not mistaken. PAF is the only wholesaler that gets from walt smith but PAF also gets from many other places. i was told that RM stuff is cherry picked from walts facitlities before it even reaches this country.

19. southerncoralfarms

through a wholesaler, 20 baseball sized colonies would cost me no more than $400.00........... Just to let you know the markup on coral....

20. thats got to be before shipping though