SPS ID needed

Discussion in 'What the...?' started by ronniem, Jul 15, 2006.

1. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

Does anyone know exacty what kind of acro this is? It's my first colony and is a pretty large piece. I noticed it has two small crabs in the colony, I remember reading somewhere about crabs that stay in acros. Are they safe or should I make plans to remove them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is some sort of SPS growing along side of these zoos I got today as well..anyone ID it?
    [​IMG]

2. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

the coral on the zoanthids almost looks like a flowerpot coral based on the skeleton structure, maybe alveopora?

the acropora you have is A. Samoensis.

3. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

Nice looking acro there. Is the crab white with a black strap across its face? If so it is a bandit crab and acro safe.

4. ronniem

Thanks guys,
    The crab does have a black stripe across his face so I guess I can leave him be then right.
    The SPS on the zoo rock is not a flower pot, I have one and this is different. Thanks again guys

5. ronniem

Chris think if I can get him out I should go ahead and remove it. I sure hate to take a chance with this colony.

6. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

the sps is likely A. samoensis or similiar. if the crab has hairy legs it bad.

it very well could be goniopora. there is a huge amount of varience within the genus. i wouldnt call it porites since porites polyps are usually way smaller.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Man those look sweet Ronnie! Wish I could have made it,look's like I missed a good trip.

8. ronniem

Thanks Typo for the info. Good to know about the hairy leg=bad crab,lol
    I didn't know that one.

9. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

I've got two bandits in two acros for a copule of months now. Both are very good, they both stay in one place in the coral with no stress to the coral. I had a thread with the questions a while back but I don't see it any longer here.