Starting out again, 7 months post K...

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by Kirk_M, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

[​IMG]

Damn, that tank is heavy...290 lbs according to Oceanic.

Will post more pics as I put things together.

2. Kirk_M

Steve,

120 Gallons, 48x25x25, approximately. About the same dimensions as your 140, but, just a little shorter. No centerbrace, yay...

3. Nice tank! Cant wait to see it take shape. ;) I bet you cant wait either. :lol:

4. Kirk_M

The 8 bulb TekLight ... still debating whether I am going to keep it mounted on legs like it is or suspend it from my ceiling...

5. I think it looks good just how you have it. ;) Are you transferring everything over from your other tank into this one ?

6. Kirk_M

I'll be putting all my live rock that has been in garbage cans of water for months now, after having been boiled and dried out after the storm, as well as some new rock. I also have some sand (not stuff that was in the tank when Katrina hit) that was in the 72 when I set it back up before the sump cracked, but, I'll need more. The fish and the corals I have in my 10 gallon will make their way there eventually.

7. Cool, cool! Did you get my PM about the candy frag ?

8. Kirk_M

Just got my GEO Nielsen reactor. Seeing that Gary just posted a pic of his, I won't waste space here. Very nice unit. George does very nice acrylic work. I'll probably wind up getting his calcium reactor as well.

9. Kirk_M

Picked up this little beauty today. I'm hoping this will be my "flood insurance policy" :)

Georg Fischer Y-Style check-valve. They sell for $59 over on USPlastics.com, but I picked it up from Savko.com for $27. Go figure!

[​IMG]

10. Kirk_M

Gary,

If you meant Swiss, yeah, it's the same :)

11. Kirk_M

Glue...the one I have is slip fit -- the pvc is 3/4", so, you slip fit it INTO other fittings and glue it. I would think you could also put an FPT x Slip adapter on each end if you want to make it completely removable from your plumbing, or even 2 unions or something.

12. Kirk_M

Got the GEO 612 Ca Reactor today. It was shipped in 2 boxes from Premium Aquatics. The reactor arrived fine...by itself. Then a few hours later, the eheim pump and Schuran media arrived the second box. The pump housing was shattered...THANKS AGAIN, UPS. At least the morons didn't break the calcium reactor itself.

UGH! I hate UPS...never once had a problem with Fedex...I just wonder why some companies don't give the option to ship with someone OTHER than the Ubiquitous Plastic Smashers.

13. Kirk_M

Gary,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The acrylic is cloudy due due me leak testing it with water...it's just humidity.

14. Kirk_M

Finally got it filled today. Everything seems operational and leak free. All I have left to do now is drill a hole through the wall into the garage so I can hook my Kalk Reactor up and keep the reservoir on the other side of the wall along with the reactor and the osmolator pump. Just need one more piece of equipment...another 6000 Stream, and I should be good, well, for now at least :). Will post pics soon.

I was going to put the Calcium reactor in the sump due to lack of space in the cabinet. It really doesn't look all that bad sitting along side the tank, so, I think I'll just keep it external when I finally set it up (no rush). I'll keep the CO2 tank out in the garage though and run the CO2 line through the same hole as the top-off's tubing.

15. Kirk_M

Well, I seem to have hit a snag here. I was testing out the Ca reactor now that I have a pump for it, and it leaks like a sieve from the O-Ring seal. Anyone have one of these reactors, and what do you do to keep it from leaking? I've put silicone grease on the o-ring, tightened the nylon bolts down as tight as I would deem reasonable for nylon without it breaking, and observed a bead form due to compression of the O-ring, but, once water hits the top, it leaks from all over.

16. Kirk_M

Did...he said use a 7/16 nut driver to tighten. Still leaks. Damnit.

17. Kirk_M

Well, there seems to be maybe some kind of imperfection in the O-Ring groove, but, it may just be where the router bit started and then where it stopped when it was finished cutting. I wound up tightening it EVEN MORE to the point of the o-ring looked crushed, after applying a sh*tload of silicone grease to the groove itself, and it seems to have stopped the leak. I just wonder how tight you can make those nylon bolts before you break them, or, crack a flange. Even though it's not leaking now, I don't trust it. If I keep this unit, it's staying IN THE SUMP (if I can fit it). I wonder if I can make a CUSTOM "o-ring" from some silicone impression material that I use to make crown and bridge & implant impressions with, and if that would seal better...just don't know how well addition and/or condensation silicones hold up to salt water.

18. Kirk_M

Some pics now that I have almost everything set up. Still have to do the Ca reactor and another Tunze stream.

FTS:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

White balance corrected. I only had the blueplus bulbs on while it cycles.

[​IMG]

Sump & Refugium:

[​IMG]

19. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

I absolutely love that sump and refugium! I've been thinkign of making a new one for my tank for quite some time. Yours looks really well done. Did it yourself?

20. looking good. That's some high class rock stacking you did.