Stores with Good selection of corals

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by Anonymous, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Hello everyone,
    This is my first time posting here since registering and of course I have a question. Fortunately it should be easy to answer.
    I live in the Abbeville area and am not very happy with selection of corals in the LFSs here in Lafayette.
    I do travel to New Orleans through Baton Rouge at least once a month and was wondering where there might be stores in those areas that you are happy with, particularly selection, healthy looking tanks and stock. All I need are street addresses and I will find location on YAHOO maps.
    I am ready to stock my modified 24 gal Nanocube and would really appreciate the help.

Nobody?

2. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

anytime you're in New Orleans, you gotta check out the "holy trinity" of reefkeeping here in La- 3 stores within a 5 minute ride from each other in a triangle :D

there's Aquatic Specialties, Rick's Reef and Coral Connection.

Quite a few people here like or dislike certain stores, but I have purchased corals from each store and found them to all have their pro's and con's- don't sell your reef short by refusing top shop at a certain store.

Coming through Baton Rouge you should check out Mark's Marine and Something Fishy- Mark's has the softies and SF has the SPS- not a big selection, but quality.

Seven Sea's is in Mandeville- if you want to go through New Orlean's and take the Causeway to I-12, you could stop and see what they have.

3. Thanks very much I will start locating and printing my maps. I have had my cube up and running now for 6 months and am really looking forward to stocking. I actually have 2 SPS volunteers on my LR. Small encrusting types about the size of a nickel each.

4. Take Seven Seas off the list.

Sorry to report that Seven Seas is no longer operational. Take it off the list. :cry:

5. Something Fishy

:cry: It seems like something fishy is no longer in business as well.

6. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

what type of lighting do you have on that cube?

7. shivametimbas

shivametimbas Spiny Star Astraea

cajun corals is a lil ways off the interstate on hwy 30 exit in gonzales. another store.

8. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

Have you been to the new place? how's everything look?

I know his store here in B.R. left much to be desired, just curious if things are looking up.

9. poppins

poppins CrossHatch Trigger

his store looks great.hes got some good things lately

10. Anyone have directions to Cajun Corals?

11. shivametimbas

from baton rouge. go down interstate 10 to the hwy 30 exit in gonzales. after exiting, take a left. it is maybe a few blocks down on the right. its in a new shopping center, you can see the sign from hwy 30.

12. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

very good to hear. I was talking with him the month before he moved and he seemed to have a very ambitious plan. Freshwater tanks for cichlids, lots of SPS, etc. the $10 SPS frags were a steal too! The ones I ended up getting from him turned out real nice- started as a drab brown but ended up with ice blue tips . . .

may have to stop by

13. shivametimbas

no sps yet. but he plans to have them. i'd say the store is "still opening up".

14. Re: Take Seven Seas off the list.

what happened to seven seas anyone know?

15. a trip

Shivametimbas! Love the new Avatar.

16. robharold Montipora Coral

Marinebiologist - You can just search for seven seas. There were a couple posts about it and why Steve had to close up shop.

17. ok cool thanks, I will check it out. I am just getting back to looking around the club after a long time away post katrina so I have missed out on lots of info

18. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

04goat....

You could always do what most of us here in lafayette do when a road trip isn't convienent.....shop the internet.

On the web, you should check out Roe's Marine World, Sharky's Reef, & Reefer madness just to name a few...

19. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

I was expecting "the list" you put up a few months back jared.

20. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

acutally, "the list" is now only found here @ LARC :(

I walked over to my laptop one morning and jiggled the mouse to kill the screensaver and the harddrive made a sound like a cat trapped in a burlap sack that was sinking in the bayou.....then it clicked....twice and died.

So I lost EVERYTHING....passwords, urls, links, all my bookmarked reference material, shopping sites, everything. It took me 3 years to accumilate all that stuff and my heart isn't really into getting it back right now :(