Sump compartment size

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by Anonymous, May 16, 2006.

1. I have a 30L that I'll be using for a sump.

I'll probably wait until I have a skimmer before adding all of the baffles, but am wondering more or less what size is needed for the skimmer - I'm leaning towards either an ASM G3 w/ gate valve mod or a AquaC EV-120. I think the ASM has a bigger footprint.

Will probably be set up skimmer>refugium>return or if I don't have a refugium, then line in>skimmer>return.

Any ideas appreciated!

2. Thanks - playing around with Google Sketchup (it's free now!) and this is more or less what I'll probably do - unless return side is too small? Probably go with an Eheim 1262 in there or drill for an external (click to enlarge):

[​IMG]

3. here's a pic of my 30 tall sump.

since its a tall i only used 2 baffle bubble traps instead of 3.

seems to be working out pretty well so far. its an ASM g2 skimmer btw.

[​IMG]

4. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

I had my sump set-up with the three baffles for a bubble trap like that but removed the last baffle after noticing that when the water fell over the last baffles it made bubbles in my return section.
    IMO the third baffles are not needed for a bubble trap.

5. The baffles I had cut will make the water level 9" high (tank is 16" high total). That means I'm using about 17 gallons with 13 gallons for overflow. Sound about right or would you guys go higher on the baffles? I want the ability to handle some overflow but am wondering if maybe 13 gallons is overkill. I'm only out a few bucks on the glass, had some cut on a whim at Lowe's but it's only 1/8" - don't have a warm and fuzzy about going over 9" with that thickness. The local glass shop quoted $6.50/sf (basically each piece) for 3/16".

GPReefer: Nope, no room for a separate refugium, at least not in the stand. The right side of this tank will be on a garage wall, so I'm considering building a closet out there for the R/O and ATO gear and having it piped in through the wall. Depending on how well I can control the climate out there, a separate refugium would be possible.

Cajunpuffer - thanks for the tip, I'll definitely hold off on that last baffle.

Afex - is that about an inch between baffles? Is that a good spacing or would you recommend wider?

Thanks for the help everyone.

6. yeah its 1" between. works fine unless you want to setup of a tray for media or something like that.

i paid about $20 bucks at plaquemine glass in BR for my 4 panes of 1/4"

for your overflow, i'd try and measure to see exactly how much water you over flow now before guessing how big to make your baffles. i was able to make my baffles very tall due to my tank only overflowing about 2 gallons or so when i turn my return pump off.

7. kwiker

kwiker Neon Goby

I just made my sump. I went to LOWES and got 3 glass baffles cut for under $6 TOTAL. Depending on what size your baffles are it could proably cost around $10. Go to Exterior doors section and that is where they have the glass and cutter.

8. kwiker

kwiker Neon Goby

Oh yeah forgot to mention that mine are 12" and have been holding for 3 weeks now

9. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

If you use the glass from lowes I would double pane it because that glass is paper thin. Used that glass for the sump on my 30g. There is also Parish glass and the glassmen for thicker glass. If you get it from lowes its on aisle 4 at the front where you can also find acrylic (I work there)

10. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Before you decide on a baffle height, see what your skimmer's OPTIMAL water level is. If it's too high, you'll constantly have problems with adjusting your skimmer, and you'll have plenty of overflows of the skimmer cup.

An inch between baffles is fine, I believe. Raise your MIDDLE baffle off the bottom of the tank by about 1-1.5 inches.