T 5's

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by Romitaz, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

Okay people. I have been looking at the T-5 HO fixtures for awhile for my Father-in-law's new 55 reef. So, anyone using them? How do you like them? Please describe your system and pros and cons of the lights. Thanks!

2. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

I have a Sunlight Supply TekLight. I haven't had it light my tank yet, so I can't tell you how well it works. Only things I DISLIKE about it are 1: the mounting legs -- they slip down, and need modification with rubber washers to keep the top/bottom element from sliding 2: On/Off switches control outside bulbs on one switch and inside 4 bulbs on the other -- I'd prefer that one switch control every other bulb, and the other controls the others, in an alternating pattern.

You may want to consider a retrofit instead, with an ICECAP 660 or two with icecap SLR reflectors (reflect more light than the TekLight reflectors) for more configureability.

From what I have seen from lighting it though, is that it puts out a LOT more apparent light than my 440 VHOs @ 432 Watts of T5.

3. Just make sure you get a light that has individual reflectors for the bulbs. The 6 bulb over my 40 was very crisp with the lighting combo I had. I was very pleased with it.
    Sean

4. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

I was more leaning toward the Sunlight Supply Teklight just because of the clean look and it's not my money :lol:

5. southerncoralfarms

southerncoralfarms Black Perc

if you are just keeping fish and general corals, that is alright to use the T5's, but I have never been a real fan of them..... The blue of the actinic just isn't the same....... I agree with George at CC about that one. You just can't fit enough of the phosphors in that bulb to make it a true actinic blue color..... but they are pretty close.

6. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

URI is supposed to be releasing a super actinic bulb any day now. It is supposed to have the internal reflector be as good or better than the VHO Super Actinic.