T-Tiny Starfish??????

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by Anonymous, Jul 17, 2006.

1. My tank is being over taken by a large amount of tiny starfish. Does anyone know anything about these creatures?Where do they come from and how to get rid of them. Thanks

2. pick em out one by one. the ones that usually hitch rides are brittles is wat ive heard. explain wat they look like. and to kill em...a hammer always works :lol:

3. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

A picture would help. If they are baby brittle stars, they're no harm to your tank. If they are asterina stars, some say they eat soft (and maybe hard) corals. If asterinas, pick them out of the tank as you see them...they multiply fast, and the only thing that may eat them is a harlequin shrimp, so, you are better off just picking them out.

4. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

I used to have hundreds of little star fish looking things on my glass at night, i mean smaller than a grain of rice. Eventually they went away, or my fish ate them. If its little serphent stars dont worry about them.

5. No they aren't brittle stars, they are real small and white almost favor the sandsifting star.

6. Hi ddtfb :)

Mini brittle stars are wonderful additions to any reef tank. They are completely safe and clean your tank of uneaten food and deteris.

Most of the asterinas are also safe. They will often have one or two big legs and the rest will be smaller. For the most part they are algea eaters. There is a rarer kind of asterina that will eat on soft corals. They will appear more blueish in color than the others.

Unless your corals are being bothered by them, I'd let them live. I've kept tons of each in my tanks for many years with all kinds of corals. :P

asterina pic:
    [​IMG]

mini brittle:
    [​IMG]

Jtv7471, you may have had those neat hydroid jellies. Did they look like this?

[​IMG]

7. I think that they look more like the asterina,it's hard to say right now whether they are bothering anything, I noticed them because I had a bunch of what I thought were flatworms, I used flatworm exit ,which did absolutely nothing,exept open my eyes to all the baby starfish. :shock: so I suppose I should really just watch and see what happens.Thanks for the help.

8. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

I sure did have those little jellies. What the hell are do that do? lol

9. I think those little jellies are cool. There are like 15 different kinds and they all have different leg patterns. Some look like snowflakes. :D

They don't swim, but instead crawl along the glass like spiders and they catch little artima nuplii (omg is that how you spell it?) and smaller pods. But they never last very long and usually dissapear suddently over night.

I hear people that keep seahorses hate them cause they can eat up all the baby ponies food. But I've never kept horses. So I don't mind them!

10. i saw this small chunk of LR at paw paws the other day that was crawling with brittles and feather dusters