taking shield off MH fixture, affecting sps?

Discussion in 'Small Polyp Stonies' started by oimate842005, Apr 6, 2006.

1. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

I have a 3x175watt SE halide fixture and recently took the glass off the bottom, from the side of the glass shield, you can see it was blocking off a lot of light...anyways, soon after about 3 days, im noticing a few of my SPS are starting the dreaded "browning"...are they just in light shock and possibly recover from this, or should I put the glass shield back on? what u SPS'ers think I should do?

2. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

Most of the glass covers that come with Metal Halides are designed to filter most of the UV rays that are being emitted. So yes, if you were to take it off, the increased UV raditation that your SPS is recieving could have some affect. It could also be the increased PAR that is shocking them . . . maybe even both

From a health standpoint though, you're much better off with those glass shields on . . . not only are your corals getting increased UV radiation, but you are too

3. oimate842005

i thought it was just the double ended hqi fixtures you needed the shield with...im running SE...ive seen many tanks with open top retro SE fixtures w/o shields

4. southerncoralfarms

southerncoralfarms Black Perc

SE bulbs have built in UV shields. You don't use shields with SE bulbs, but the increased lighting is what is browning the sps. Reduce your photoperiod by about two or three hours and gradually build it back up again.

5. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

Yea it just a shock from the increased lighting, they should be fine. it's amazing how fast a coral will brown out and how long it takes for them to come out of it.

6. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

not all se bulbs are uv coated, just ask anyone who used coralvue's first run of bulbs.

im thinking your bulbs are probably ok since your corals arent bleaching or dyeing and merely just browning. that is probably happening because, as others stated, the increase of light and they should recover fine.

7. So how are thing goin' for you now Ian ? Did you decrease the photoperiod yet, or are you just going to let the coral adjust by themselves ? Im sure once they do adjust to the increased light, the color will come back soon after. You have to remember though, in the wild, corals are not getting as intense light as you guys are throwing on them with all that MH lighting, and if they are its only for a short period of time in the middle of the day when the sun is at its highest point. Thats why you will find more people running shorter photoperiods when running their MH lighting. If i had an SPS dominated tank i would mix 20000K with 6500K as the sun has more of a blue spectrum, but also has a red spectrum as well.

8. oimate842005

running them 3hr per day...plan to upping that to 4 or 5 next week..so far i can tell there doing better and are gaining color back slowly

9. Nice! 8) I knew it wouldnt take too long to recover from the change in intensity. Are you planning on running them longer than 6 hours a day ?

10. I don't theink SE bulbs need shields. I don't use shields. I use Lumenarcs. They are awesome.

11. oimate842005

KJ5432,
    look at the date on top of the threads..u are raising some of these threads from the dead :confused: