Tang in 55G

Discussion in 'Fish' started by robharold, May 8, 2006.

1. robharold

robharold Montipora Coral

Is it ok to put a sailfin tang in a 55G? I really love them and want to get one but if it is dangerous for the fish I will not do it. I have read that tangs need quite a bit of room to swim. The tank is a standard 55.

Thanks

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

just try and get it as small as you possibly can, and it should be ok for a while. But, like Steve said, it will grow quickly and you will need to get rid of it when it gets too big for the tank. ;) HTH

3. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

a sailfin tang reaches an adult size of 18". even a juvenile as small as you can possible get will not last close to a year in a 55 before it cant turn around anymore.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have a sailfin in my 55. I downgraded from a 180 to a 55 after Katrina to save my precious fish, and the sailfin has been cramped in there since then.
    I DO NOT reccomend this fish for a 55. As soon as I can catch her, she's going up for sale/swap. I have a TON of rockwork, and for the time being, she's still fairly small (+/- 5")

She's beautiful, but was much happier in the 180.

5. robharold

robharold Montipora Coral

Oh well! That really sucks. I really wanted to get one. It just wouldn't be fair to the fish. Thanks for the input. I will have to wait a couple years until I can upgrade the tank.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yeah

I wouldnt do it, i'd look into the Kole Tang if i was you, they are pretty cool looking and should be fine for a long while in a 55 if you get a really small one.
    Curt

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I had a tiny sailfin in my 58g for several months with no problems...granted I wasn't planning on keeping him for too long