Tank Crashing

Discussion in 'What the...?' started by Anonymous, May 8, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I recently had to move my 125 gal. reef tank. Afterwards I lost many of my corals, and now have a reddish/pink film growing like wildfire all over the sand and spreading to the rocks. You can pick it up in sheets. What is it and what do I do? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. shivametimbas

shivametimbas Spiny Star Astraea

also, more flow should help.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ive heard mixed comments about this product, but ive used it at the Reef Keepers with fantastic results. If you can find any info on it, the name of it is Anti-Red.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Many thanks for the reply. I siphoned most of it out and made a 30 gal. water change when I got home from work. I'm headed for Mark's tomorrow and hoping he has what I need to treat the tank.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Also this stuff is like the horror movie the blob. It grows at an alarming rate. One day 25%, next 50%, next 75%. My tank has been up for about two years and no problems until I moved it. Hoping Mark's Marine has what I need to treat the water after the water change I did today.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Tank Crasking

Thanks twistedtiger, do you think chemicals are useless, and do only frequent water changes, or try to buy some chemicals? If I do frequent water changes what amount would you do and how often. I did a 30 gallon water change today.

7. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

I've gotten outbreaks of it in the past. What has helped for me is to get a good bit of water prepared for a water change of about 30%. When the water is mixed and ready, then I take a powerhead and blow off all the rocks, sand, & everything with it.

This will of course create a huge mess in the tank. When done, I do the water change immediately. Skim a bit more heavily than usual for a few days afterwards. A couple days after the water change, blow off all the rocks again. If you feel necessary then do another water change a week later.

Above all else, make adjustments to the direction of your flow from your powerheads, etc etc. Use some sort of flake food to see where the flow is being directed throughout the tank. Quick and easy way. Afterwards, add more flow if you need to.

Just my method.. hope it is helpful!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Use ANTI RED. You do have to treat the cause, but once you have cyno, it will continue to grow back, even with aggressive water changes. Anti Red is very effective and will usually kill it all within an hour, you may have to do a follow up treatment but the stuff works well and is safe. It should be your first line of treatment.

Michael

9. bmb527

bmb527 Marine Betta

I would agree that finding the cause is the most important thing, and eliminating it. Then using a product such as mentioned above to rid your tank of it quickly. Follow the instructions closely. Also, UNPLUG YOUR SKIMMER!!!
    This stuff WILL make a HUGE mess! I learned this first- hand. The human nose is not made for the kind of stink that red slime remover makes in a skimmer. Plus it foams in your skimmer so much you will be emptying it every hour or two.
    Bill

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

IMO, i would still use the Anti-Red, and still do the water changes. The Anti-Red will kill the cause of the outbreak as well as protect you from any future outbreaks.

11. SLUSamson

SLUSamson CrossHatch Trigger

I'd stay away from the anti-red... a friend of mine used it with no ill effects on his livestock, but his cyano came back again... gotta find the cause... when i had it in my 30, I used seachem purigen in a filter bag and added a powerhead to the tank... It will eventually go away... my guess is that you stirred something up from the move... you'll always have it in your tank in trace amounts, you only notice it when it has something to eat and you get an outbreak...

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Carl will tell you we fought that battle in one of tanks at The Reefkeepers. We did the aggressive water/media changes, manually removed the stuff daily for at least a couple of weeks but the stuff just wouldn't go away. We didn't have flow issues or any other underlying cause and we didn't want to use anti-red. It was one of four well stocked coral tanks in the same bank and the only one with the cyno and it was established! When we finally decided to try anti red it it worked like a Miracle cure and no corals displayed any stress or problems from it. Recommended it and sold it to several people with similar problems and heard only positive comments. Unless you have hoards of Atlantic Ceriths to throw at it, anti red is the only way you can put a real impact on colony like we are describing. The stuff was growing in front of our eyes.

Michael

13. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

chemi-clean is a "instant fix" but if you dont immediately take out the problems that are fueling the cyano it will be back in no time at all. If you do you chemi clean i would follow the directions and afterwards do heavy/frequent water changes over the next few weeks, run phosban, and run fresh carbon. Worked for me when i had cyano in my 30g and it never came back.

14. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

I've used chemi-clean several times, it works great. In 2 days your tank will have NO cyano left in it. Highly reccommened just do the water changes as soon as it clears up.

15. bmb527

bmb527 Marine Betta

They all work, but, are only a temporary fix. You still have to get rid of the cause. I highly doubt that disturbing a sandbed caused this. However, it may have released enough nutrients for the cyano to re-establish themselves. Also, check your RO filter, if used. Get flow going where the cyano is taking hold. Cyano hates flow and will not thrive unless the water in that area is fairly still. I'm sure you have heard this all before.
    If you use the red slime remover products, remember to unplug your skimmer. It will make a mess, as well as remove the product from the water, which will defeat the purpose of buying it in the first place, and it is expensive.
    Bill

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are getting some very useful information here, and no one here is wrong in any way. Everyone just has their own methods of reefkeeping. Mike and I did use the Anti-red on the affected tank, like i said with fantastic results. We could literally watch it eating the blanket of red away in the matter of an hour. After daily use for about a week or so, the Red went away and never came back. Increasing the flow in the tank will keep this from happening again. Im not saying this Anti-Red product is the best thing for this out break since sliced bread, but i can tell you from experience that it is a good product and it works really well for eradicating such an outbreak of this sort.