The Military

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by Anonymous, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Anyone here have any military experince ? I will be joining the Air Force in a couple of months after school is over. I will be on active Aircrew responsibility after BMT. Given my experience in the design and engineering field, and im good with a computers, i will be an Airborne Communications and Systems Engineer Apprentice. Since i will be part of flight crew, i will go where ever my aircraft goes. Im really looking forward to the world travel and education i will get out of the whole experience. This will only put me closer to acheiving my goal of being a pilot. Anyone have any stories or words of encouragement they would like to share, please feel free to do so in this thread. 8)

2. shag26272

shag26272 Peacock Mantis Shrimp

I was in the Army for 6 years. I would say if you really want to be a pilot do it but now I had to force myself to get out of the Army so I could go to college, they tell you when you sign up that you can go to college while your in, but most people never have time to do it.

3. whulljr Bangaii Cardinal

I was in the Navy for 5 years. I know the airforce is layed back and all but if you already have a degree then don't go in as an enlisted go in as an officer you get paid more and you will have a better chance of being a pilot. If you don't have a degree just go to school and get a degree in anything really hell basket weaving works. ha. And go sign up as a officer. Well whatever choice you choose, have fun!

4. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

Ditto all the above...I was Marine Crops. Aviation Electronics aka I worked on avionics. I enlisted because I was a year shy of my degree and ran out of money....I didn't have any time at all to even work towards my degree while I was in.

However, the GI bill is a cool thing. Enlist for your 4 years and save save save. It'll be hard because of the low pay...expect about $1200/month to start, but that could go up when you depoly and will go up if you play nice with others, do your job well and get promoted....Being you're young, after your 4 years enlisted, use the GI bill and bust *** in college, then go back as an officer. I'd recommend you get a degree in something NOT related to aviation. The degree doesn't matter so long as you have one and the aviation industry is very fickle. Having something to fall back on would be a good thing. There's not a day goes by I don't wish my degree was in accounting or anything else except aviation...

Otherwise, if you want to be a pilot, then I'd tell you to just go down to FL or AZ and attend one of those flight trade schools. It's expensive, but they'll take you from clueless to your Airline Transport Pilot's license in about a year. Again, it's a lot of work and it's expensive, but it's the quickest way to get in the front seat.

5. Yeah, im probably not going in under general enlistment, i will be going in under an officer enlistment, since i already have one degree, with hopes of having two before i enlist. i really dont want a commercial transport license, im really only interested in a private license and my twin engine rating so i can fly faster and larger aircraft. After i am out of the Air Force ill be able to retire at the age of 50 and fly at my own leisure. I really like to be a Private Charter pilot and fly Citations, Gulf Streams, or Lear Jets. Thanx for the support guys. Wish me luck! ;)

6. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

sorry but I find that kinda funny...I fly citations, falcons, & learjets among other planes......you may want to come spend a week with me & my screwed up work schedule before you claim to want to live like this....

Oh and to do that charter pilot thing, you're gonna need the ATP rating anyways....but if you go the AF route, there's guys near every air farce base that can help you get through the process of getting equivalent civillian ratings before you get discharged....

:lol:

7. JLouv, i was under the impression that a Commercial Tranport Certification was only needed to fly for an airline. I dont really care if its leisure flying or flying for a charter company, whatever it takes , im gonna do it. Only time will tell where i will end up. For all i know, i could wind up spraying mosquito insecticide out the rear of a cessna! Just give me the wild blue yonder!

PS: I would love to spend a week just jetting around with you, anytime! 8)

8. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

I spend some time occasionally working out of Little Rock for the Ark. Child's hosp up there....I'll let you know when I'll be heading up that way & you can bum a few rides up front in the King Air...

Otherwise, when you get into pt135 flying, especially in larger aircraft, most insurance companies are going to require the pilots to have an airline transport pilot license. I think it's more about the physical requirements <a physical check-up every 6months instead of every 12 months> than anything....

In addition, to be paid to operate an aircraft, you have to have at minimum a commercial pilot's license....but after the private license and instrument rating, everything else is easy...it's getting the experience you have to have logged that's the difficult part...

9. Thanks for the info JLouv. Im glad to see i found someone on a reef club site with something of a common interest other than saltwater aquariums. How do you manange to keep up with your tank anyway, being as you are so busy.

PS: definitely let me know when you do come up, ill fly with ya! ;)

10. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

In a word? automation

I've got everything automatic except feeding and water changes. My wife or I feed the tank every other day and change about 10g of water every 3rd month or so...

Keeping the tank up while I'm away isn't the problem....the problem is that when the tank has a problem, I'm away ;)

11. bmb527 Marine Betta

Forget becoming a pilot! Come over to the dark side and be a mechanic! You can work weekend- graveyard shift, see what goes into an airplane toilet firsthand, and best of all, you will come to believe jet fuel is a type of cologne!!
    Bill

12. :lol: Im sure my wife would just love man with such a distinct smell huh! :lol: ;)

13. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

you never know....when I was working as a line-man refueling airplanes back in college, my then girlfriend, a little country girl, loved me smelling like kerosene.....said I smelled like her daddy.....whatever that meant....but she sure did seem to like it!!!

:lol:

14. whulljr Bangaii Cardinal

I don't know what to say to that, sounds like that movie where the girl goes, "your not my sister, your not my sister!!!" Jet-A for men is the cologne name!

15. Cant say i seen that one.

16. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

Never met one that liked the smell of gas yet, kinda intresting though lol

17. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

LMAO

the movie is "Joe Dirt"

and skydrol is some cool stuff eh??

18. im spsing

im spsing Fire Shrimp

Hey carl,

My dad's been in the Marines for i thikn 19 years. Getting ready to retire next year!