Wazzel's mostly SPS 120

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by wazzel, Oct 3, 2015.

1. wazzel Ko-Ko Worm Global Moderator LARC Supporter

It has been a mix. Some RTN overnight, some STN from the tips while others from the base.

2. wazzel Ko-Ko Worm Global Moderator LARC Supporter

I am at a loss. Considering sending my water off to triton for testing. With the algae I have in my tank I know I have nutrients, the algae is just consuming it all so it is not showing up in the test. I will get the tank back on track at some point. At this time I may or may not replace anything since I never wanted a tank full of lots of little pieces anyway. As soon as I can rule out pest for sure I can clear my frag racks and get them back out the tank for a while.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  3. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

ICP testing would be a good thing and would help rule out certain things as a cause for this, I am still waiting on results from samples I sent out recently in hopes of getting back normal parameters so I can move along.

4. Stoned

Stoned CrossHatch Trigger LARC Supporter POTQ Winner

Is the nutrients phosphates or nitrates?

5. BluewaterLa

I would believe that is the ones @wazzel is referring to.

6. wazzel Ko-Ko Worm Global Moderator LARC Supporter

Without anything showing up on a test I can not tell.

7. wazzel Ko-Ko Worm Global Moderator LARC Supporter

I cleaned out more carnage this weekend. Two more colonies, two mini-colonies and a handful of frags I had trimmed some times back. More things look like crap and not sure if they are going to make it. My tank is overrun with algae now. It was a giant explosion over the past 2-3 weeks. Levels check out fine, no issues I can see. Watching this slowly dying tank is pain full.

I have all but stopped feeding my tank to see if that can help with the algae. Going with minimum feedings every 2-3 days. My fish are fat so they should be ok for a short time of that.

I know some people have asked for Zoa's, and I said I would sell some, but with how my tank is right now I am not selling or buying anything until I am happy things are back to normal.

8. CenlaReefer

CenlaReefer Harlequin Tusk LARC Supporter

I am so sorry to hear about this news. What sort of algae is it? Bryopsis? Obviously it is something your fish will not eat.

9. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

I am really sorry to hear about this @wazzel. I recently had a large algae explosion in my tank and I was removing fistfulls of algae from the main DT several times weekly. This came from nowhere. Last weekend I gave the tank a really good cleaning and discovered that all of my bivalves died...and from the best I can tell, all at the same time. If not for poking the shells, I would have never known. When cleaning the tank, if you polked one, they all closed. Last weekend there was no movement and the shells were falling off the feet. These fellows have been in my tank from day 1, went over a year and I though I was starting to see new little ones. I even have corals encrusted over some of the shells and I now have a dilemma where I have corals mounted on clam shells that have fallen off the rock and now I need to remount them. I have no idea what the cause is and never will - just not a lot of bivalve resources in the hobby. Regardless, this die-off no doubt fueled the algae bloom that has aggressively overgrown my corals. I have two LPS and one SPS with tissue recession but otherwise I think I caught it in time. Nitrates have remained in check but phosphates were off the chart and I am going through GFO like toilet paper after a Pancho's Buffet.

My point is I wonder if you have a die off event involving some micro fauna that fed an initial bloom.

I have full confidence in your skills and no you will pull through. I wish you luck in finding the cause.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  10. wazzel Ko-Ko Worm Global Moderator LARC Supporter

Other than the corals, I have not noticed a die off of anything. All the coral deaths have been really slow. The snails and tangs are eating whatever it is, just not able to keep up. It is not one type of algae. Since I cut way back on the feedings my snails have managed to keep a part of the back glass clean.

11. BluewaterLa

This stinks bad man and I feel your pain.
    Something is off balance for sure in the system and coupled with a recent move from tanks in this last year time frame along with the heater malfunction, your tank is not stable caused by one or more things.
    My tank took a good solid year to stabilize after I moved it and struggled with zero nutrients from a fallow period. After this last episode I had with water/ chloriamine breech things got nasty for me as well.
    The after affects of this played out in some strange ways with seemingly no answers or end in sight. What I did was allow the tank to rest with no intervention for the most part as the algae and cyano bloomed fairly well. I did a large water change of about 60 gallons just to siphon out debris from the cyano, algae and removed some colonies and frags that were dying off.
    I found a few of my sps that was missing tissue had a ''coral smell'' in some areas but had a rotten putrid smell in or around the die off areas.
    Farther inspection and scraping some flesh off around the bad areas revealed a black bacterial like film that was causing the stench.
    I removed all the corals that were affected with this to try and stop the continued spread of die off.
    Removing the corals with this crud under the flesh did a world or good and I believe that getting them out the tank also MAY have removed any chemical signals being released that others were picking up on thus keeping ''some'' from going into meltdown.
    My pod population was also non existent, this alone can cause instability or show instability in ways that cause issues with algae blooms in mature systems, this may just be incidental toward many systems I've had through my years but I would still recommend you flood your system with some Pods.
    They will help with the algae on a small micro level along with the flock, detritus in the rock and keep the corals clean plus fed off of the hatchlings.

My tank started to recover and the nightmare diminished once the far gone corals were removed and tank has a healthy population of Pods again.
    At this point give it a try and see if it helps you out.
    Other things I would do would be send off an ICP test just for an added eye on things and make sure that something is not in there that should not be or a level of something either too high or bottomed out is not helping the issue persist.

12. GPReefer

GPReefer Let the Fin Begin! Administrator LARC Supporter POTM Winner

Sorry about all the losses. Most of us go through times like that and it does suck to see corals that you have cared for - sometimes for years - just fade away. Keep up the good fight and hopefully things will improve. Makes it hard when you don't see any reason for the decline.

BluewaterLa likes this.