Web Graphic Artists...

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by Travis, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

Hey guys I have been into designing web sites and I like to design my own custom look/feel to the site. Such as the banner, the link buttons ect. I have been using JPEG files to use on the website, but as you all know the JPEG file can be huge and take a while to download when the graphic is, well for lack of a better word, awsome. I have taken a webmastering class and the intructor mentioned PNG files were becomeing more prevelent in the web design world because they are so compact (smaller file sizes in relation to kilobites). I have just recently done a website in all PNG files instead of JPEG files. The site loads FAST and the file size of the pictures are realy small. I am wondering if everyone's computer is able to read/see PNG images. Or are the older model computers the only ones unable to view the images?

I know GIF files would be smaller, but from a graphics standpoint, they look sketchy.

JPEG Image (32.7k)
    [​IMG]

PNG (23.9k)
    [​IMG]

Is there a more sutable file size for webdesign that keeps the same look as a JPEG or PNG, but an even smaller file size, and able to be read my everyone's computer?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Portable Network Graphics are great for CAD and other computer generated buttons!

I have no problem with loading regular ol' JPGs either. Is anyone still on dial-up? =p JPGs are still tops for many banners and anything photo-quality though.

Browsers that support the HTML 4.0 object tag will have no problem rendering PNGs, right? I bet you are pretty safe using them. It isnt really a new format. I think PNGs have been around since '97ish (when web designers got fed up with all the lame GIF patent limitations.)

Anyway, I look forward to checking out your new art! =)

Eww! You could always go crazy with the embedded image tags and have JPGs load for anyone that still can't view PNGs! Heehee =p

3. Travis

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Looks awesome! Very clean and slick! My favorite style. =)

5. Travis