Web Graphic Artists...

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by Travis, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

Hey guys I have been into designing web sites and I like to design my own custom look/feel to the site. Such as the banner, the link buttons ect. I have been using JPEG files to use on the website, but as you all know the JPEG file can be huge and take a while to download when the graphic is, well for lack of a better word, awsome. I have taken a webmastering class and the intructor mentioned PNG files were becomeing more prevelent in the web design world because they are so compact (smaller file sizes in relation to kilobites). I have just recently done a website in all PNG files instead of JPEG files. The site loads FAST and the file size of the pictures are realy small. I am wondering if everyone's computer is able to read/see PNG images. Or are the older model computers the only ones unable to view the images?

I know GIF files would be smaller, but from a graphics standpoint, they look sketchy.

JPEG Image (32.7k)
    [​IMG]

PNG (23.9k)
    [​IMG]

Is there a more sutable file size for webdesign that keeps the same look as a JPEG or PNG, but an even smaller file size, and able to be read my everyone's computer?

2. Portable Network Graphics are great for CAD and other computer generated buttons!

I have no problem with loading regular ol' JPGs either. Is anyone still on dial-up? =p JPGs are still tops for many banners and anything photo-quality though.

Browsers that support the HTML 4.0 object tag will have no problem rendering PNGs, right? I bet you are pretty safe using them. It isnt really a new format. I think PNGs have been around since '97ish (when web designers got fed up with all the lame GIF patent limitations.)

Anyway, I look forward to checking out your new art! =)

Eww! You could always go crazy with the embedded image tags and have JPGs load for anyone that still can't view PNGs! Heehee =p

3. Travis

4. Looks awesome! Very clean and slick! My favorite style. =)

5. Travis