What are those?!

Discussion in 'What the...?' started by Lloyd Williams, Aug 11, 2017.

1. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

Yep, after reading this thread, I went and looked and it seems I have somewhere north of a few hundred, dare I say close to a thousand. I am not seeing any aparent harm. Rather, I can see where my Calaustrea's have encrusted over a few. They seem to prefer the porcelain based Caribsea rock that everything else has avoided. They also appear to dominate the undersides of all the rock where corals would not grow anyway. Perhaps my tank has worked out a compromise. Time will tell.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 10:23 PM
    BluewaterLa likes this.
  2. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

The snail actually is mobile when they are just out of the plankton stage and look like tiny baby regular snails as they move across surfaces / glass looking for a suitable place to make a permanent home.
    Most times they just look unsightly to a fair portion of reefers, they can cause corals that encrust to take odd shapes that they wouldnt normally like capricornis encrusting over the tubes and creating branches so to speak.
    Vermetid snails can aggravate corals with their strings of mucus used to capture foods and tend to grow or settle rapidly onto coral that have been damaged.
    Most folks that keep sps corals absolutely hate these pest for a number of reasons including making Acropora colonies take on abnormal shapes or damaging them.
    They are time consuming to get rid of for sure and I dont think one really ever gets rid of an infestation of these pest worm snails.
    I would recommend smashing the tubes or removing before they become an issue.

Most ones we see common in the hobby are the ones that stay rather small in diameter like the ones pictured earlier in the thread. Its the larger ones that are bored into live rock or coral colonies that usually become more of a problem annoying corals with their slime feeding net.

clsanchez77 likes this.
  3. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

Sounds like I will need a snail smashing party at my place ':banana:'-bonk-'*BD*''!bear*'-jumpy-

4. Kasdarack

Kasdarack Kole Tang

I took out all of my rock and fragged\dipped my few corals at the time... and gave the rock a long bath in acid with a power head. Changed tanks. Ended up with smaller live rock and no vermetids.

But guess what? I have vermetids in my tank. ':bang:'

BluewaterLa and clsanchez77 like this.
  5. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

I am laughing with you my fellow reefer, many including myself have tried to eliminate these PIA snails only to reduce their numbers or find out that one may have been missed during a valiant attempt to eradicate them and they make a come back.
    Having the small ones in the tank are a double edge sword because they arent really a huge issue to worry about but we dont like them none the less.
    Vermetid snails are superb filter feeders and utilize many sources of foods including fish food/ waste, coral foods, detritus/ flock so feeding the tank/corals or fish is feeding these underwater thorns.

I still smash or remove as many as I can when in the tank for any reason. I have added three or four hermits to the tank a while back and they seem to pick away at them and eat the ones they can open up so I help them out with the opening process.
    All it takes is for one of the lavae stage which is like a small nail to survive a dip or be missed at any point and to get into the display tank and you will have them permanently IMHO.
    They are often hidden in and on coral frags, rocks, plugs, in between zoanthids or calcified over with sps tissue with just the tip of its tube open for business.
    So the double edges of the sword would be do you starve your tank in attempt to starve the snail population (which wont work ) Or do you find that happy medium of feeding that keeps them from exploding and maintains the health of your tank critters you want.
    I would and do go with option two while keeping my personal war against them, besides it gives me something to do I suppose when I am bored haha.

Lloyd Williams likes this.