What is the #1 rated online reef store?

Discussion in 'Vendor Experience' started by David DelValle, Jan 15, 2018.

1. David DelValle Copepod

I’m originally from Florida and had many connections with local vendors. Now that I live in New Orleans I find it necessary to go to the web. So I would like to ask you what is your #1 rated online reef store.

2. The GOB

The GOB Harlequin Tusk

Dry goods-- Premium Aquatics, Aquacave, Bulk Reef Supply are my top 3. Aquarium Specialty and Marine Depot next

Fish-- Live Aquaria, Blue Zoo, Vivid. There are tons of smaller specialty shops for high end corals but that isn't my thing

BluewaterLa and clsanchez77 like this.
  3. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

With over 2200 members here, I see no reason you can't get 2200 different recommendations lol.

Similar to The GOB, for dry goods my preference is Bulk Reef Supply, then Marine Depot. For equipment however, I prefer Premium Aquatics.

For livestock, I will put Vivid Aquariums far ahead the rest. I have not had great satisfaction with the past few coral orders from Live Aquaria, but I have used them for many, many years.

Have you tried any local vendors, we have several in Metairie. My long time go-to is Aquatic Specialties. Stock is more limited as their primary business is in service agreements and they pretty much only stock what they would put in their own service tanks. For local selection of dry goods and livestock, Aquatic Sealife on Veterans is quite impressive. They're relatively new and were questionable at first. Today they have grown quite a bit in size, selection and maturity. I now don't hesitate to shop or recommend Tim and Frank.

One of our members recently purchased Ricks Reef and I remain hopeful he can turn that place around and do something with it. As of now, I would say good quality run of the mill local shop.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  4. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

I'm old school and prefer to still deal with Local fish stores and other locals for buying livestock.
    Something about getting to see, inspect and choose what I want Vs what some place wants to send to me off of some saturated photo under heavy blue lights.
    Check out the bottom of the page here where our vendors are listed so you can get an idea of who is around the area.

I also miss the times where we would drive around for the day going to a couple local fish stores and window shopping at some while draining our wallets at others. Good time with friends and making relationships with some shop owners. Just cant beat having good relationship with a LFS as they will be there for you in times of need while online places are impersonal and you have to wait. I may also be slightly impatient hahah

5. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

And 'WelcomeLARC-shadow'

clsanchez77 likes this.
  6. dbraun15 Neon Goby

Like others said...BRS for dry goods. My go to for livestock is Divers Den and Live Aquaria. Just made a fish order from Divers Den tonight in fact. Aquatic Specialties in Kenner is nice along with Aquahut in Prairieville for local shops.

clsanchez77 likes this.
  7. dbraun15 Neon Goby

Forgot Coral Fever in Raceland to add to LFS's.

clsanchez77 likes this.
  8. GPReefer

GPReefer Let the Fin Begin! Administrator LARC Supporter POTM Winner

Definitely check out Coral Fever in Raceland. Quarantined fish and a great selection of corals. Super nice owner also.

clsanchez77 and Humblefish like this.
  9. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

10. reefMD

reefMD Neon Goby

BRS for dry goods. I prefer the forums "for sale" sections for most everything I buy. There is a lot of nice propagated coral there and its usually much cheaper.

clsanchez77 likes this.
  11. Marcus Alexander

Marcus Alexander Cleaner Shrimp

I really like vivid aquariums. They can be a touch pricey at times, but I think its worth it. Great customer service. I just ordered some softies from them and they opened up fairly quickly in my tank.