what now??

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by Anonymous, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Got some salt, mixed it all day. I added 20lbs new carib-sea aragalive fiji pink and 75 lbs of the same from saltynewb's old 58. The sand had been sitting in a bucket for 1-2 weeks. Let the sandstorm subside and added about 5lbs LR from a established system and 85 lbs or so of southerncoralfarms cured LR. The LR had been sitting in a rubbermaid of heated satlwater for approx 2 wks. Also added about 30 lbs hiroks base rock.
    [​IMG]

when I first got everything running, this is what i got in the skimmer in the first couple hours. Been runnin 2 days since and not much more. I need to play around w/this thing. I guess no bioload=no skimmate????
    Looks pretty watery but I know nothing about adjusting skimmers at this point.
    [​IMG]

I've got this dust everywhere , I don't think it's sand dust, I think it's from
    the base rock becase it's mostly around the base rock. What can I do with this?

[​IMG]
    How long should I let it run like this before I start testing for ammonia, trites, trates and such?? How long of a cycle should I expect? Should I be running lights at this point?? I just turned them on for the first time after 3 days.

2. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Kick up your circulation a notch...aim a powerhead slightly down towards the sand and let it blow the fine, silty stuff back into the water column so it gets skimmed down into the sump and picked up by a filter pad. You could also run a canister filter to pick it up. OR, you could get a small diameter airline hose and siphon it out off the sandbed.

3. IMO, you should have washed all the rock off before putting it in your tank with some salt water, shwishing it around in a bucket. Also, the lack of circulation in your tank is going to keep that stuff on your sand. You should add another Seio on the other side of the tank to blow that stuff off the sand bed. Or, if you really feel like siphoning all that stuff up, you can do that too. It may come back due to the lack of circulation in the tank though. HTH

4. I washed the rock w/ ro water pretty well but I guess this stuff is just still coming out of the cracks and crevices. As for the flow, I'll try to step it up a notch. I have another 1100 to put in there and if all else fails I'll suck it out. It's not that bad, just in a few spots. Should I be running lights right now, or am I asking for algae?

5. yeah

yeah, once you get a few cleanup critters and some more flow in there it will blend in with everything else. Looks good so far. What are you planning to stock it with?
    Curt

6. citation83bravo

citation83bravo Cleaner Shrimp

when i shut my tank down to move it i got the same stuff...no matter how much you wash your rock off you are going to get it...the flow and your clean up crew will get it hidden in no time though

7. [​IMG]

okay, i got the other 1100 in there. I used it to blow off the sand and rocks and stir up the crud. when should I start testing? When can I get a cleanup crew and who should I get. there is some matter on the rock kind of flapping in the flow.

8. Kirk_M

Test it now to get a baseline, then test again in a few days. Just monitor your ammonia...it will peak out then fall. When it's 0 again, you can add you cleanup crew. The stuff you see blowing around is probably some kind of die-off attached to the rock...something that was once alive.

Cleanup crew...I'd wait till there's something for them to eat...whether diatoms or the first signs of algae. Personally, I don't like hermits. I'd stock ceriths, astreas, nassarius (when you start to feed -- they are good detritivores and sand stirrers), a sea cucumber, and a fighting conch (both good sandbed cleaners).

9. citation83bravo

citation83bravo Cleaner Shrimp

get a sand sifting starfish they are good for sand and also those fighting conchs

10. gettin some algae, looks like diatoms but really orange, not all that dusty
    looks like the same stuff i saw in cajunpuffers tank. Everything is testing ok
    salinity 1.024
    ammonia <.25
    ph 8.2
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 2.0 or less
    all tests salifert

not much different tthan when I tested a week ago, water has been in 10 days or so

what now? if clean up crew what should I get, how many?, from where? online is prolly best for me right now?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Kirk_M

Diatoms, yep. Wait till your ammonia is 0 before adding anything though...you're almost there :)

Just out of curiousity, was that new live rock you started with, or base rock? If live, was it cured or uncured? If it was uncured, you had something in there to feed the nitrogen cycle... if it was cured, did you drop something in there to get it started, like, say a dead shrimp? What was your peak ammonia reading?

Cleanup crew: a lot of people here (including me) have been happy with orders from http://www.reeftopia.com. They have 3 algae control packages, and you can also make your own.

12. rock was mostly cured, never really got a ammonia spike, guess I need to use something to start it, the lowest reading on ths salifet test is les than ..25 but i guess I never really had a cycle

13. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

My base rock from Hirocks had the same dust on them.

The tank is looking great and I am looking forward to seeing it's progression.

14. looks like your getting close to adding time... just wait for those diatoms to start clearing up, and your levels are all 0.
    Curt

15. Okay, tank has been running about 2 1/2 months now and I have been slowly adding livestock:

2 perc clowns
    1 hippo
    1 royal gramma
    1 yellow watchman
    20 blue legs
    20 astrea
    1 cleaner shrimp
    2 emerald crabs
    purplish/greenish mushroom rock
    gsp rock
    green open brain

all levels look good so far

[​IMG]

the hippo showed a little ick the after the first day I put him in there but looks great ever since. all other fish are great and eat like hogs also

the only prob i'm having is algae growth is a little more than I'd like. Im getting some coralline but i'm gettting some various other algae, some is brown, some is green, mostly brown and sort of fuzzy and reddish but not as red as cyano. the reddish brown is prevalent on one rock right where the one of the powerheads blow and green is all over but not really bad
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

is this normal? should I be trying to manually clean this stuff off, of course none of my critters will get in the powerheads to clean them
    i just don't want this algae to ge taway from me

16. i thought I already went through the diatom phase, this isn't really dusty looking it's more slimy and hairier than it was before, as you can see in the pic w/ the seio the green is coming in pretty good especially on the overflow ,like I said i'm pretty satisfied so far, i haven't any other tanks around to compare to so I don't know how much is normal. I can only go by the pics I see and the LFS tanks.

17. Kirk_M

I'd second the Mexican turbos. I have the same stuff in my tank right now, and they mow that stuff down.

18. Once all your levels are 0, add your clean up crew. Hermits & snails are great for that.

Lots of online vendors have packages rated for the tank size. I got mine on ebay. I don't suggest too much live goods on ebay though. Do your research, it will save you money.

As far as your light, it really doesn' t matter if you leave it on or not.

19. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

which one from ebay did you use???I have been looking at ordering some snails from ebay

20. ive had hermits & snails for about 4 weeks, maybe just not enough