What size hole saw for 1" bulkhead

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Pettee86, May 18, 2006.

1. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

What size hole saw (drill bit) do I need for a 1" bulkhead?

2. Palancar

Palancar Ex-Acan Collector LARC Supporter

It really depends on which 1” bulkhead you use. The best option is to buy the bulkheads and them measure one for your hole diameter. Use a good name brand so if you have to swap it out down the road it will still be available and fit the same hole. Also with a little investigating a lot of the companies will have their dimensions listed on their web site.

[​IMG]

3. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

Thanks Palancar.

4. I agree with Palancar, it depends on the bulkhead. That having been said, however, I've bought bulkheads at Seven Seas and through savko.com and they both required 1 3/4" holes. I used Lau's 45mm bits ($4.50 each) from eBay to drill mine.

5. $4.50 for a diamond hole saw?
    :shock: :shock:
    I paid $35.00 for a USED 2-1/2" one.

6. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

Don't need diamond bit as I am only putting the bulkhead in a plastic drum to hold RO water. I'm going to go a little smaller and just reem it out for the bulkhead to fit.

7. oh man thanks for clarifying that! I feel mucho better now :lol:
    I could hear my wife all over again "you bought diamonds for the *%*%^ FISH and not ME!!!!!" :shock:
    gotta luv this hobby eh

8. I got them here

Bought two, so with shipping from Hong Kong was $19 total. I've drilled 3 holes so far in 1/2" glass, no problems. I wouldn't buy these for day in/day out use - I'm sure yours was much higher quality - but for drilling tanks it's hard to beat.

9. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Pete,

Most Schedule 40 Bulkheads need a 1 3/4" hole. If you're using a schedule 80, it usually 1 7/8". If you're buying online, most vendors like Marine Depot and Savko will specify the size hole you need to drill.

HTH...

10. it seems to be decent quality lots of diamonds on the cutting edge. no name brand on it anywhere though.
    I have drilled 6 holes thru 1/2" glass with it so far and see no loss in its cutting ability yet. I did modify it before I used it. Drilled four 1/8" holes (one at each quadrant) thru the sidewall just above the diamond edge to allow for more water flow to the cutting edge. goes thru 1/2" glass like its butter. I even used my cordless drill on one of the holes.

11. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

Kirk - Thanks for the info.