What type of salt do you use?

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by Anonymous, Apr 24, 2005.

?

What kind of salt do you use?

1. Instant Ocean

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Reef Crystals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Red Sea Salt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Oceanic Salt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Coralife Marine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Kent Sea Salt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Hawiian Marine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I'm thinking about switching salt brands. I started out with Red Sea Salt, but I've realized that it comes low on calcium. I tested a fresh batch this weekend and it showed up at around 300 ppm. I think my kit shows low values, so I could probably adjust that up to about 330-340, but that's still too low of a starting point IMO. I do 20 gallon water changes, and I'd rather not have to add a whole bunch of turbo cal or something like that to prep my salt water changes.

So .... what kind of salts do you use? If you've tested cal on a fresh batch, I'd appreciate those results as well as any info on other stuff (alk, mag, etc)

Thanks
    Scot

2. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

I use IO, but I am not sure the of the cal. level. I am doseing some Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium once a week inbetween water changes. I am picking up a cal test kit Tuesday and I can test it and give you the results on a fresh batch.

3. i think two brands of popular salt are missing, tropic marin, and hawiian marine.

4. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

On the table, I use regular old morton's table salt....when I'm cooking I like "jane's crazy mixed up salt" with the mandatory dash of Tony's...

In the aquarium........I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you ;) It works for me though whatever it is.

5. reef crystals and instant ocean salt are my two favorites.

-Mike

6. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

most salts have a calcium between 300 and 360 ppm because the higher the calcium the less alkalinity buffer. just ask oceanic salt users about their alk problems.

i vote for tropic marin, and it tests at 350ppm.

7. that is true typo, we used it for about 8 months-never have to touch your cal. but still do not enjoy the alk problems. So we now use 1/2 oceanic, 1/2 IO Seems to do real good so far

8. Travis: Thanks ... I'd appreciate those results.

Lacie: Sorry! I tried to change the poll to add those, but I guess you can't do that once you submit it.

JLouv: Ve have vays of making you talk!

Never heard of "Jane's crazy mixed up salt". Is that a West LA kind of thing?

typo: Thanks for those test results. You've got me curious about the "higher the calcium, the less alkalinity buffer". Is there some reason (other than cost) that the salt makers couldn't put in the amount of carbonate/bicarbonate and cal (in whatever form it's in) to get our levels to 400ppm and 3.5-4.0?

9. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

my boss talked to a rep from tropic marin and asked and his reply was it simply counteracts, and low calcium problems are easier to deal with so their salt is at what he said is the safest, highest amount without the alk problems.

10. What are your readings?[/quote]
    JUST TESTED AND THE CALCIUM IS 500-alk 2.98-dkh 8.4-ph 8.2

11. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

I was just reading on RC that Oceanic users (including myself) have a problem with brown slime algae. I have had this problem for the past few months -- I was using Oceanic for about 8-9 months now, and just recently I started having slime form on my sand and heavy slime algae on my glass reforming every day. I skim heavily, feed but just a pinch once a day, etc, etc. Has anyone here had this problem too? I think I will be switching salt brands next time around, as I never had this problem when using IO.

Thanks,

Kirk

12. IO been around commercially over 35 years, cheap & consistent, even in the Latest testing IO still out shines the rest hands down

13. JUST TESTED AND THE CALCIUM IS 500-alk 2.98-dkh 8.4-ph 8.2[/quote]

Wow-the calcium is up there. Are you using any supplements / kalk reactor? Who has the Oceanic? I've not seen it where I buy--[/quote]
    No additions to it. But I am sure once the tank is adjusted to the change it will need some additional cal.

14. Thanks for following up, but I still don't get it. I wonder if they are saying that it might precipitate out as calcium carbonate if they had high levels of each in their mix? Sounds like a Randy Holmes-Farley question.

scooterman: Judging by the poll results, it looks like you're right. I started out doing fish only tanks a while back and used IO. I guess I need to consider going back. Travis, any word on the IO cal levels without any additives?

15. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

Last time I checked a batch of IO, ca tested somewhere in the mid to upper 300's....it could be worse, but it could definately be better...

16. oceanic's ca and alk levels may be high but they don't have the trace elements etc in there.

17. I once tried Bio Mainre Mix i think its called? It was good salt, but expensive. I got it from aquatic life last year. Anyone ever heard of it?

-Mike

18. I get a higher CA reading with my LaMotte than saliflert but I do agree it is easier to bump up the ca a little as compared to the high buffers used in oceanic BTW they do have added traces. Once I make up 30g of water I add turbo ca to bring the ca level up to 420, any more is really too much above that you have to consider alk, st & mg which is bumping up more than necessary, I don't understand why people think they need 450 or 500 ca for sps.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2003/chem.htm

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/sho ... ge=1&pp=15

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/ ... eature.htm

19. JLouv: Thanks for the IO info.

Here's a decent article out of England on testing of different salt brands.
    http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=57

It's fairly informative. Wish they would have produced a chart to see how they all stack up against each other. It's also kind of interesting that they say that RO water can have an affect on the levels of cal/mag/etc.