Windows Sucks, Moving to Linux

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by Travis, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

Ok here's what happend.

I went to work this morning and brought my laptop with me so i could do some Website eddinting etcetera. So when the wirelesss link pops up (Running Windows XP, at the time) I clicked Connect. then all of the sudden I get a crap load of Error Messages from my Ad-Ware Watcher/Remover. It's saying that something is trying to modify my System Registery so obbviousliy I block the attacks. Then I tried to add a new FTP access folder in My network Places and for some reason it wouldn't do anythig when I clicked on it (typicle Windows....) so I thought maybe my Ad-ware program was blocking me from adding an FTp Folder so i turned it off. Then I tryed to Make the folder, still nothing... Tryed turning the Ad-Ware program back on and it wouldn't...? So I try clicking on the internet and my home page was somthing else, XPZ77.somthing or another, and I exited out. Then I tried to click on my Anit-Virus to scan, but guess what? The icon turned GREY when I double clicked it and it wouldn't let me open it. then I opend my Start box and ALL of the files had that deafalt icon when the OS can't read the file type.

I am PI$$ED!!!!!!

So i sayed F U Windows, More like Bimbos...

It was my fault that I got the virus or w/e it was because I disabled the Ad-ware blocker for a few seconsd. The point it is there are too many viruses for Windows (~144,000 so the Mac comercials say), How many Linux Viruses are there constantly targeting random people?

I spoke with a Dell Software Tech and even he is running a Linux OS system ( Ubuntu). He said he has seen to many problems assosciated with Windows. he sayed there are so many holes in the system that they don't know how/won't fix them.

Check it out, it's free. you can try it before you install it (running from a CD) and see the OS without installing it/formating your computer.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

So I have just installed Ubuntu linux OS and I am LOVIN it. i am installing the updates right now and i am going to get right down and start learning the program, I have never in my life used anything but Windows so this is going to be one heck of a challenge (doubt it ) for me.

With Windows XP I had to set up my network computers, with Ubuntu, it did it automaticly and was ready to go when i clicked on network Connections smile.gif

What i like most is that all of the Applications like the graphic design is almost like Adobe photoShop 7.0 which is what I use to do my webdesign layouts and such.

I will let you guys know how things progress when they do.

BTW, on the Windows XP, I did have AVG Free and Lavasoft Ad-ware Plus (I payed $22 for it), so I guess this was a new virus that AVG didn't update for yet.

2. poppins

poppins CrossHatch Trigger

ive got an apple.its fun

3. Travis

Yeah, I think if I get another computer later on down the road (This one is less than a month old, it's a Dell Inspiron E1705) I am going to go with a Mac. I love their comercials lol.

4. poppins

poppins CrossHatch Trigger

the thing is i usually only use it for internet purposes and other media but i dont generally have to worry about viruses. thats the good thing about it

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Keep us posted b/c I run into the same problems ALL THE TIME.

6. Travis

Yeah, that is the MAIN reason why I am never using Windows for my personal computer again.

I would have gone with Apple, but ubuntu is 100% free (world wide built software) so for now, Linux it is for me, but i am kinda diggin' Linux right now, just trying to figure out all the goodies.

7. SLUSamson

SLUSamson CrossHatch Trigger

Linux is a great OS, don't get me wrong... I've used it for various things since 1996... I have a feeling that you'll be back on Windows soon... Linux just hasn't reached the "usable" point for editing websites and photoshop capabilities... GIMP is a good program, but it's interface sucks... I don't know of anything on Linux yet that edits Flash... OpenOffice.org is nice, but it still feels cumbersome... If I'm monitoring and managing a network all day, it's my #1 choice.

I made the leap once to Linux as my desktop OS... It lasted about 3 weeks... I spent more time recompiling my kernel and downlaoding software packages than I did actually using it... Give it a try cause it's a great learning experience. It looks cool and gives you a different way of looking at things...

I don't think it's the fault of Windows that your computer self destructed... In my line of work, I've found that it's not a good idea to rely on a virus scanner and a spyware program to keep your computer safe... I have neither on my computer at the office and home and I never have any problems... The best protection from them is conservative browsing practices... I don't ever install anything unless it's from a major software vendor, I don't open attachments in my e-mail unless I'm expecting something from someone, and I stay away from file sharing programs unless it's bittorrent, or IRC chat... Make sure you keep the updates up and enable the Windows firewall next go around.

Not bashing on ya... just giving you a little of my experience

8. Travis

You see, I have safe surfing practices. I had the Firewall on and the Auto Updates On. I wasn't even surfing the net when I had the Registry modification Attack happen, I was just starting up Windows when it all happend.

I was able to get the Adobe Photosop 7.0 installed on the Linux with the healp of CrossOver. They don't support MS Frontpage at all, but they do support DreamWeaver, which is basicly the same as FP.

But, you may be right. This is a Microsft World and I doubt that's going to change any time soon. I may have to switch back over to Windows because some applications just arn't compatible with Linux.

I am realy going to miss my America's Army if I don't end up switching back :(

9. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Linux isn't secure either, FYI. If not properly configured, you'll be just as if not more vulnerable than you are with windows. You really need to know what you are doing to properly administer a *NiX box. There just aren't as many viruses/worms that attack linux boxes, but, they are still not hacker-proof. I'm no "Friend of Bill," as personally, I hate Windows...I'm still an old Amiga guy at heart.

10. SLUSamson

yep, i'd have to agree with Kirk on this one... while some of the new distributions are MUCH more secure than distros of old there are still things you have to be aware of... Ubuntu is made for desktop installs so it's pretty friendly and secure out the box, but it's really easy to switch a setting and not realize you just gave everyone root access into your machine if they wanted to try to get it... BTW when you use things like WINE to emulate windows and run win32 applications you're robbing your computer of the speed you could get if you just ran them in windows to start with... what i recommend if dual booting windows and linux... that way you can use linux (I'd use something like ubuntu or suse) for surfing the web which is safer, and then use windows for playing games and using apps offline...

Since you like building websites, you could also consider running Apache web server and putting your webpages on your own web server so you can test them out without uploading them to the web... then when everything is good to go, upload that bad boy... there's a Windows version of Apache too, so you don't necessarily have to be running linux to do this... you could do it all under windows WITHOUT ever being online!

11. Travis

Multi Booting sounds the way to go. How do I do it? I know it has somthing to do with partitioning space, but i am not sure how to go about doing it.

12. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

You have to make a seperate partition for it, with the distribution's included partitioning software (like fdisk, disk druid, others), and then, when, when it asks if you want to install a bootloader (like LiLO or something similiar), you just select, yes, install it, usually on your first drive's boot sector. You may need to use a windows tool like Partition Magic to regain any space on a previously formatted for windows drive, to use this space for installing linux. You resize your windows partition, then designate the remaining space as either linux ext2/ext3 format, or, just leave it undesignated, and the linux installer will detect it as unused and you then partition/format it as needed -- a few ext2/3 partitions and a swap partition. FIPS (on a linux distribution) can also be used for this purpose, but, from what I remember of it, it's not super user-friendly. The installer will also ask you which OS you want to boot to by default, Windoze or Linux....select which one you want to use upon any reboots by default (it still lets you select though...it will timeout after a few seconds and go to your default selection after that).

13. shivametimbas

shivametimbas Spiny Star Astraea

might it have been due to the virus BS going on on nano-reef?

14. Travis

You where getting that too? My AVG blocked the attempts.

I have switch back to Windows, for now. I just can't seem (don't want to) learn new programs in order to get my work done.

I have gotten a 1 yr sub of McAfee Security System. I think I should be safe with that, although it takes forever to load when starting up....

15. SLUSamson

Just a note on dual booting... make sure you install Windows first. Use the XP install process to create a smaller partition than using your entire hard disk... install XP, then go to install Linux... Windows has a habit of blowing away the Linux boot loader and it's not fun for a Linux noobie to try and figure out how to get it back... been there and done it... :D

A note on OSX... it's basically UNIX... OSX was developed mostly from BSD Unix... Linux is just another flavor of UNIX so there ya go... basically the same thing... you can actually compile X Windows on OSX and run programs normally run on X under Linux or BSD on your Crapintosh