Xenia

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by podslammed, Jun 19, 2006.

1. podslammed

podslammed Fire Shrimp

Does xenia like a lot of current, or should I place it in a lower current area?

2. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

Mine has done better in a lower current area. It tends to pulse better if it isn't getting blasted.IMO

3. bmb527

bmb527 Marine Betta

Low to medium current.

4. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

I find lower current will make it pulse better and also let it extend better

5. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

ohh yea, where is my frag of that blue zenia ;)

6. podslammed

podslammed Fire Shrimp

Soon as it grows a little you can have all you want :lol:

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I found on my old reef tank " that died with Katrina" that the xenia did better with strong currents. After 2-4 months it was spreading like crazy and I gave a lot away.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You can direct the growth of xenia by placing it in a laminar flow area. It will tend to spread in the direction of the flow. I agree with the medium to low flow making it pulse better. Just some starting points. Find what works for you.

9. partsman70435

partsman70435 Astrea Snail

lower flow 2 medium flow and it will grow and spread with the direction of the flow. i purchased one small frag for my 12 gallon nano and it has split into 4 pieces now - really awsome pulsing also. i also didn't realize it uses the water flow to move itself around so it could attach itself to more areas in order to get bigger.
    gonna have to trim it dowm soon as it's starting to take over the nano . i tried a small piece in the 120 but i guess it doesn't like it there very much and isn't responding well yet.
    Zenia is very picky and selective - but if your really lucky it's a really awsome piece to watch pulse.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What about flow and lighting for white pompom? Will it just take some time to adjust to my higher lighting?

11. im spsing

im spsing Fire Shrimp

I moved my xenia from an area with medium flow and medium light to an area with the same flow but intense light ( about 2" from the surface and 10" away from a 250 watt MH) and it pulses like crazy now. just thought it was interesting.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I keep mine isolated from the rest of the coral in my tank, it usually sits on the bottom with enough current to almost blow it over. Mine personally does better with medium to high flow, but thats just mine.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Mine likes high flow. I now have xenia trees in my tank!