Yellow Tang eating my brain coral!

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by oimate842005, Jul 17, 2006.

1. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

this is ticking me off, i come home today and my welsophilia brain coral is retracted, and then see my yellow tang all over the brain trying to eat its flesh...i know the brain was not on its way out, it was expanded as fully as it could be for years, its about 3-4years old...and the yellow ive had no problem with munching on coral in the past...really strange

2. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

If I could catch my yellow tang he would be out of here. He eats feather dusters, killed and ate my first max clam. I feel your pain

3. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

I had a Sohal and a Sailfin that picked one of my weslo brains to death. The sailfin left the brain alone till the sohal came along. Then they both took turns eating it. At first, they'd just eat zooxanthellae that the brain would expel from time to time (or coral poop, I don't know which). I had the brain for over a year, it got excellent expansion, then, once these two started out on it after having left it alone for as long as I had it, it wouldn't expand unless I kept it under a clear plastic jar with holes in it. Once I got rid of the two fish, it started expanding again outside of the jar, but, I think it had gotten weakened to the point that it had no resistance and succumbed to what looked like a brown jelly infection.

4. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

only good tang is a dead tang...

5. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

correction...the only good tang is a poon tang... :lol:

6. trags

trags Fire Shrimp

My foxface has recently learned the same eating habits. He has taking a liking to my trach & my Xenia....after 2 years of being such a model citizen :evil:

If I could only get him out w/o tearing down the entire tank. I guess it's a good thing that I'm working on setting up my 120.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

haha, who was it that had poon. wasnt it cassie? haha :lol: