2 algae ID & battle

Users who are viewing this thread

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Definitely a lot of false labeling of fish, especially in the gobies and blennies.
Molly miller would be my vote for algae

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
I think the indiscriminate munching is ok in a larger tank with mature coral colonies. However in smaller tank, or in a tank designed around raising frags, there is risk.
I plan to make this tank more of a display tank with larger colonies. I will still see how it goes with keeping some frags with the starry blenny. A good portion of the frags in here are expendable anyway. The LPS ones I really care about can be dipped in a SW / hydrogen peroxide dip regularly before the fish is introduced. That really cleans them up.

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
I am wondering if this dark algae could be a rare, dark brown coralline algae. I see it grow on my glass in a fine speckled distribution. It scrapes off with a mag float with metal scraper attachment. It takes about the same effort to remove as the purple coralline algae does.

The only thing that works against this theory is that I have seen a trochus snail eat a patch of this stuff, leaving a clean white frag disk section beneath. Those snails would not eat coralline as far as I know. I guess it is still safe to say this is some type of encrusting film algae.

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
I neglected cleaning my glass for about 3 week. This is the result for the sunroom cube tank. I brushed this from the inside with a toothbrush first. I took this pic with a piece of white Styrofoam inside the tank. It has the feel of coralline algae. I believe it looks darker under a natural light spectrum. It is harder to see under blue light.

What do you all think? Does it look like coralline algae?

20220920_174149.jpg

20220920_174228.jpg