210 gallon build BluewaterLa

Users who are viewing this thread

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
So let's not bag on the Blue for being late to his own party :p cut me some slack Willis :D
'(bk)'
Thanks to my man @Humblefish for making a few phone calls and getting me some much needed help moving this beast into my trailer. Also a shout out to our firemen all over for being in great shape and willing to go the extra mile.

Don't think I got pictures of the tank while cleaning it out, my brain doesn't work all the time in that respect. Not much to look at as it was fairly clean and was only set up for a little over a year.
So I will start with the first picture I've got of the tank and add more, hope to keep yall in suspense.
Anyone know the definition of suspense ?
I'll tell Ya tomorrow '*HaHaHA*'

Last edited:

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
image.jpg

So this is the tank in its former home before I went to scoop it up.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
image.jpg

Here is my new tank sitting it's large rear in my kitchen covering one of my wife's beloved picture windows :eek::D
Three things you can notice in this picture
1) is the 30 gallon can to the right where I mixed water, that homestead or squatted for a while.
2) remember that precipitation issue I caused haha, look at the bottom of the tank !
Blue knows how to make it snow under water :cool: Yeah I'm that good sometimes, though
I can't make it "rain" as the young folk say :rolleyes:
3) the reflection of the glass shows the mess on my table that I must say the Boss loves o_O
That's how I roll sometimes, too focused on other things to clean and Hey it was an
Organized mess -clap-

And yes the tank is complete, up and running and all contents of my 90 have been transferred. I figured I would drag this out a while, really just picking through the pictures I took by phone and choosing how to tell this story.
Got to make it look sweet, Right ? '~~~~'

Last edited:

helldiver

Flasher Wrasse
LARC Supporter
Nice

CharterMan

Cleaner Shrimp
I know how u feel, I moved a fully stocked 265 gallon reef from Longbeach which took over 10 hours to break down and didn't take a single photo to start a build thread lol

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
I know how u feel, I moved a fully stocked 265 gallon reef from Longbeach which took over 10 hours to break down and didn't take a single photo to start a build thread lol

You're a R.A.T. Which stands for Reef Addict Teaser

More along the lines of this haha, I've got some pictures, just got to have time to sit here and post them and type haha.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
image.jpg
After getting the tank filled with saltwater about an inch below the overflows I started to add some equipment to prepare the tank for plumbing. So here is some pictures. This is the new Ice Cap 36" sump from coral vue.
Nice, clean and well made. The model 36 features two one inch drains and dual 4" filter socks, so water flows down into a small chamber to diffuse air bubbles and over two filter socks down and under to the large skimmer / equipment area. The equipment area has 4 built in tubes for dosing of your choice and the adjustable baffle for water height has four probe holders for convenience of placement.
The equipment area flows directly to the return section which is nice and roomy.
There is a measure tape for the water level, and in front of the return section is an 8 gallon fresh water top off area that I believe is closer to 9 or 10 gallons.

I chose this model after realizing the Ice Cap 36 XL with larger foot print in width boasting a 12 gallon top off and an added refugium wouldn't fit inside my stand due to the way it was built. This sump was 23 1/2 inches wide and I was short one inch due to the interior space I had to work with.

Oh and that Bad Boy pump you see is the Reef Octopus Varios 6 Dc variable pump with controller and low water sensor that will shut the pump off to keep it from running dry.
Pretty sweet pump, powerful and rated at almost 1800 gph.
The controller has 5 speed adjustments and two feed modes 15 minute and 60 minute for feeding or maintenance. Can be run with or without the sensor if you wanted.
And there is a soft start up to this pump that gradually ramps up to your preset power setting. Super quiet, it's silent.

Last edited:

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I choose to use pink foam insulation board under the acrylic sump for insulation and a nice smooth surface to keep things kosher and help with any vibration issues if any were to arise.
Notice the level in one of the pictures, I am meticulous about things being level for all the obvious reasons, I do this several times while dry, some water weight, half full and at full water level just to be sure.
I will get some specific dimensions and pictures of equipment upon request.

The start of the plumbing was to choose all one inch for ease and to simplify things for my aging brain and deteriorating body haha. The Varios 6 pump is 1 1/4 if your interested and does come with a barbed spigot in the box if needed.
The plumbing you see here was utilizing the factory durso stand pipes for drains and the returns with built in T's for use of other equipment as I don't really like manifolds unless on large tanks. Well larger than 400 or more gallons due to space availability.

Long story short the durso stand pipes were loud as all Heck ! Nothing I read, researched or tried would quiet them down. In my opinion this defeated the purpose of having a silent pump. Back in "the old days" return pumps were noisy no way around it.
My last 6" tank was run by an external pump that was quiet for its size and still I built an insulated box to help quiet the hum. When this tank finally gave out we couldn't believe how quiet our house was.
I couldn't take the gurgle, once that was solved I couldn't put up with the whistle from up top and most of all the sump splashing and gurgle was going to cause my brain to explode haha, never had a tank so noisy in my life.

Last edited:

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
All around another great build on LARC!

The plumbing you see here was utilizing the factory durso stand pipes for drains and the returns with built in T's for use of other equipment as I don't really like manifolds unless on large tanks.

IMO, manifold is the way to go, as long as you can fit it. I never liked the idea of having a bunch of pumps all over the place. I would have even done my skimmer if it did not need the needle wheel.

Long story short the durso stand pipes were loud as all Heck ! Nothing I read, researched or tried would quiet them down. In my opinion this defeated the purpose of having a silent pump. Back in "the old days" return pumps were noisy no way around it.

LOL, you are right on this! Durso's are quiet...as long as you have a noisy pump. I am running one of the "old days" pump, Iwaki MD40RLT! For a quiet pump, it makes some racket. There is a DC fan mod for these pumps (also the Pan World and Blue Line) that eliminates most of the noise. The quiet hum remains. May do this. I do hope one day to upgrade to a DC pump, but I want it time tested and Apex controllable. Just is not there yet.

There is a way to silence the durso, but I have not tried it on mine yet. It involves over sizing the air hole and putting a valve on it so you can dial it in. The problem is the factory dursos have these holes drilled into the sides of the T fitting, which defeat the purpose of the durso. These side holes are way to small to be emergency overflows so I have not figured out their purpose. But I have found them to the be the source of the gargling noise.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
All around another great build on LARC!

IMO, manifold is the way to go, as long as you can fit it. I never liked the idea of having a bunch of pumps all over the place. I would have even done my skimmer if it did not need the needle wheel.

LOL, you are right on this! Durso's are quiet...as long as you have a noisy pump. I am running one of the "old days" pump, Iwaki MD40RLT! For a quiet pump, it makes some racket. There is a DC fan mod for these pumps (also the Pan World and Blue Line) that eliminates most of the noise. The quiet hum remains. May do this. I do hope one day to upgrade to a DC pump, but I want it time tested and Apex controllable. Just is not there yet.

There is a way to silence the durso, but I have not tried it on mine yet. It involves over sizing the air hole and putting a valve on it so you can dial it in. The problem is the factory dursos have these holes drilled into the sides of the T fitting, which defeat the purpose of the durso. These side holes are way to small to be emergency overflows so I have not figured out their purpose. But I have found them to the be the source of the gargling noise.

Yes manifolds are good to have, I just wanted to save space so I included it into the return plumbing with out a seperate piece of pipe just for the T's.
I will onlu be running a small reactor or two off of the main pump so didn't consider the small loss of flow to be credible considering I've got a lot of pump to use. I will be custom building a refugium and possibly frag tank as well. That's all in the future.

The factory durso pipes were replaced with a DIY style with no dice on satisfaction, still was noisy in the sump and no matter what I did with the top hole size they whistled loud.
So off with their heads ! :eek:

Frostydog

Neon Goby
LARC Supporter
Have you tried running airline off of it to outdoors, like you do on a protein skimmer? Do something man, I still can't here you!