Attachments

• 20220408_103141.jpg
    20220408_103141.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 45

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
A few tangs
Going to be tight in a 40. They get really intolerant of others when in small spaces. You will want to stick with the Ctenochaetus variety and even then 40 is small. I'd suggest the pygmy angels in Centropyge instead. Their grazing patterns are very similar. Several of them are herbivores and if you can harem 3, its really nice.

merlinr26

Harlequin Tusk
Going to be tight in a 40. They get really intolerant of others when in small spaces. You will want to stick with the Ctenochaetus variety and even then 40 is small. I'd suggest the pygmy angels in Centropyge instead. Their grazing patterns are very similar. Several of them are herbivores and if you can harem 3, its really nice.
I just said that to rile up the tang police lol

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I just said that to rile up the tang police lol
I'm all for it then. There are a couple of sites I would love you to post that too!

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I think I should be ok with 2 Sohail tangs
They stack nicer if you take all the water out, put the tangs in first, then add the water back. Kind of like putting the cereal in first, then the milk.

merlinr26

Harlequin Tusk
Question when I set up the 40 I will be transferring everything from the 20 into it. Can I add the water too and just top off with new saltwater, or should I start 100% new water? Really not wanting to cycle it all over again and possibly lose the little that I do have.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
good advise above.
Siphon out as much water as you can into new tank, transfer fish and coral first, small rock with corals as well.
rinse rock well with tank water then transfer.
Make sure temperature, salinity and alkalinity all match existing water and fill up the tank.
Your existing rock is your biological filtration holding the majority of your good bacteria.
If sand is nasty I would just go with fresh sand, too much a pain and risk to new tank Vs the small cost of new sand for a small tank.

Lazyfish

Neon Goby
Agreed I wouldnt use the sand unless you have no choice especialy if it's over 6 months old theres way too much stuff that builds up even with regular cleaning. I wouldnt risk disturbing it and releasing all that stuff. Ammonia nitrate spikes could potentially occur from releasing all of it at once. You may want a scoop or two to seed the new sand bed with micro fauna to kick it off but I would leave the rest it's not worth it imo.

Lazyfish

Neon Goby
I didnt realize. Makes it simpler. Are you also going bare bottom on this one? I dont see any sand in your pictures. I realy like bare bottoms when theres corals carpeting on the bottom of the tank.

merlinr26

Harlequin Tusk
I didnt realize. Makes it simpler. Are you also going bare bottom on this one? I dont see any sand in your pictures. I realy like bare bottoms when theres corals carpeting on the bottom of the tank.
I will be going back with sand. I so like the look but I feel like I'm chasing parameters more often. Plus I really want to get a goby/pistol shrimp pair.