40B build..

Users who are viewing this thread

smileyjoe

Ko-Ko Worm
Administrator
POTM Winner
I'm ready to pick your expertise minds!!! Going to be doing my 1st build and can't wait. My first question would be the size of the holes and around where to put them. Seems like most people are going with the Herbie overflow. So please share your knowledge, I'm ready!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Humblefish

HF
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
I'm ready to pick your expertise minds!!! Going to be doing my 1st build and can't wait. My first question would be the size of the holes and around where to put them. Seems like most people are going with the Herbie overflow. So please share your knowledge, I'm ready!!

Is it an Aqueon or some other brand? I would first do this test (you can only drill non tempered glass):
You need to test the glass to see if it's tempered. You will need a smart phone/tablet/laptop/etc., and a pair of polarized sunglasses. With a white screen on the electronic device, place it inside the tank. With sunglasses on, turn the electronic device until you see the screen go black. If it's a solid black screen, the glass is not tempered. If you see blotches of white, it's tempered.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator

...and in case you forget to test for it :D

smileyjoe

Ko-Ko Worm
Administrator
POTM Winner
Is it an Aqueon or some other brand? I would first do this test (you can only drill non tempered glass):
Going to pick it up this weekend, I'm waiting on the guy to message me back to see what brand. He had said that he drills the backs of these tanks all the time

Humblefish

HF
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Going to pick it up this weekend, I'm waiting on the guy to message me back to see what brand. He had said that he drills the backs of these tanks all the time

Supposedly the newer Aqueon 40 breeders are non-tempered both in the back and on the bottom. It's something they changed for that one tank because so many people wanted to drill it on the bottom. But I would do the test to know for sure.

smileyjoe

Ko-Ko Worm
Administrator
POTM Winner
Gotcha!! So what would be the best size holes to drill for the over flow and return? And I will definitely do the test just to be safe!

Humblefish

HF
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Gotcha!! So what would be the best size holes to drill for the over flow and return? And I will definitely do the test just to be safe!

I would drill a 3/4 return and a 1.5" drain. Somewhere @minhvu has a build thread on his 40 breeder from a few years ago. I think he detailed how he did the overflow & everything.

smileyjoe

Ko-Ko Worm
Administrator
POTM Winner
I would drill a 3/4 return and a 1.5" drain. Somewhere @minhvu has a build thread on his 40 breeder from a few years ago. I think he detailed how he did the overflow & everything.
That's what I was thinking but love to hear y'alls advice! I'll try to go find @minhvu build thread and study it lol!!

smileyjoe

Ko-Ko Worm
Administrator
POTM Winner
My 40b was drilled on the bottom for a 1" drain and a 3/4" return. I believe it was an aqueon from petsmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what brand tank it is. Is there a significant difference from drilling the bottom to drilling the back?

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
That's what brand tank it is. Is there a significant difference from drilling the bottom to drilling the back?

Its all about how you plumb the tank. If you drill the bottom, you need a full height overflow, but your plumbing runs are shorter and you can put the tank against the wall. If you drill the back, you have more flexibility in plumbing, you can use ghost style overflows but you need space behind the bank of the tank.

smileyjoe

Ko-Ko Worm
Administrator
POTM Winner
So if I drill the back, could I do two returns or would one return be sufficient?