Harlequin Tusk
O and last Thursday coral vue had 19 tons of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Prices are getting ReDonkulous on everything
I think its a game of jack up prices for this and that just to see how much folks are willing to bleed

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Supply and Demand. If the product is flying off the shelves, then you raise the price. If the product is going stale, you need to lower the price. If people are complaining about the price, but still buying it, then you found the sweet spot.

Cigmin

Harlequin Tusk
We shall see they have not had stock since January. I am changing salts

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I am contemplating it too. My options are go back to IO like the good old days lol, or pay the upgrade for ESV. ESV was always expensive, but now it seems to be what everyone else wants to charge LOL

Cigmin

Harlequin Tusk
I’m looking at brightwell and tropicmarin

Odd their prices are still steady

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Surprised about TropicMarin as well as it is also imported, but then their price was already high, so maybe they were better positioned to absorb the increases. AF was cheap for its quality, and its from Poland which I don't think has any ports, so they probably took a big hit with the post-COVID workforce.

I don't know where Brightwell products are made.

I am pretty sure ESV is USA made, but I don't know that for fact. Seachem is US made, but their quality sucks. I have used a lot of their products and had problems. When you reach out to them, my experience with them is cocky arrogance.

I will probably just go back to Instant Ocean. Never had problems with it. Im all for better quality, but if its going to cost an unreasonable amount of money, then I will just default back to what has worked great for decades.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
I switched from Aqua Forest products / salt to Tropic marin Pro with the BRS specific trace from tropic marin and like it enough to justify the added cost per bucket.
Mixes super clean / clear in matter of a minute or two and Never had any off test with it thus far.
Availability has been spotty but I like to buy two buckets at a time to keep two in stock at the house and can go a while waiting for it to come back in stock which has been pretty quickly lately.
In that regard its getting better coming back in stock.

Also take the ride down south to get a bucket from Seth at Coral Fever, he usually has some waiting for us to buy.

skydirt

Cleaner Shrimp
I've been thinking of swapping from IO to tropic marin pro. What stopped me was being hard to find awhile back and not wanting to swap and then run out. I really don't have much to complain about with the IO. It's very cheap, easy to get delivered on schedule and i dose pretty heavy anyway. It does get a little dirty in my 125g mixing tank but i usually just take it out and clean every 6 months. I guess i'm just not sure if the extra money vs benefit is worth the swap.

BumpaBaaby

Kole Tang
I switched for Reef Crystals to Fritz (blue box) and my salt is available but it did go up to $57 vs $50. It mixes way clearer than the RC so far and it doesn’t have high parameters except DKH. But I always find it mixes higher and it even itself out by the time I after the water change.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I have also had to deal with the ammonia issue with Reef Crystals. I actually used to blend RC and IO into some kind of hybrid IO-RC salt, but the quality issues with RC made it not worth the effort.

Never had a copper issue, but interesting find.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
If RC wouldn’t have changed (something changed) I would still be using it. It’s Cheap online to pickup at any Petco
I know all aquarium salts made in the USA have to be fully synthetic as of a few years ago. So, they all had to change their formula unless the salt is imported from outside the country.