HELP Algae ID & advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
I guess this is GHA yet I want to validate this. I hope and pray this is not bryopsis. I have a tailspot blenny and 3 converted FW mollies in this 20 gallon display tank. I am thinking about removing the non-algae-eating fish and feeding them only every other day to increase their appetite for this stuff.
16155860602246909707615663112027.jpg

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
Thanks so much, @The GOB. I have this same algae in my other 34 gallon DT as well. Why can't I get my mollies or my blue-eye kole tang to eat this stuff? I see them nipping on the glass, rock, and substrate yet they never go after the long stuff. Any reason why? Is it because I feed them too much fish food daily?

I know nutrient control and manual removal is best. I take some rock and corals out and do a hydrogen peroxide dip (1/3 peroxide and about 2/3 SW). I soak for about 45 seconds. That usually kills it.

Last edited:

The GOB

White Tip Reef Shark
Administrator
POTQ Winner
Could be that more palatable options are available/offered but, ime, once it gets long and stringy most fish ignore it.

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
... once it gets long and stringy most fish ignore it.
I thought I read or heard that before. Your comment will help me renew my vigor with manual removal and hydrogen peroxide.

Perhaps those fish are keeping the very short and new growth from coming-out again I have noticed that after having sufficient algae-eating fish, I am having less areas pop-up again after my hydrogen peroxide treatments. Before those fish, it ALL just seemed to come back in full force.