Any thoughts on DSR reefing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bigfish

Black Perc
A question for the more experienced reefers.

Has anyone even considered a move to this method?

your thoughts

Cigmin

CrossHatch Trigger
I was giving some thought but had little feedback this would be a good idea for me and my 150g tank.

I’m looking at mueller moonshine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigfish

Black Perc
I need instructions on converting to DSR and all items needed, seems only available overseas

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
I need instructions on converting to DSR and all items needed, seems only available overseas

Same basic principals of forgoing water changes regularly by replacing minor elements via dosing.
This would require more accurate testing than our hobby grade kits such as ICP on a regular basis.
Following the ICP test to know which trace elements are needing to be dosed and in what quantity your tank is consuming them.
Does the method work, yes it does just like every other method though there are good and bad that have to be dealt with.
Tanks will get out of balance from time to time and will require large water changes to correct, I do not see any way around this part.
Most large systems like in public aquaria are under testing / dosing regiments due to high cost of water changes. Even these systems can and will reach a tipping point for one reason or another that will require a large water change or series of water changes to help correct.

The only thing I see different with this DSR is the use of a polishing filter to help keep particulates out of the water column.

Bigfish

Black Perc
I’m just tired of hauling buckets for WC. I agree about the power filter, but would you need to do more testing and the cost of all test kits plus the additives. Glenn’s reef tanks are stunning

Cigmin

CrossHatch Trigger
If sr 525 is a 100 something gal tank then review moonshine instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I see it as the same as a Triton Method or AquaForest Method....just another brand of testing, dosing and forgoing water changes. The results of their show tanks are stunning, but then so are the other brands.

The one think I will give DSR is I do like the idea of being able to custom tailor a salt mix, but then ESV already does that too. The one downside to that is we don't really have a good source for high purity sodium chloride. ESV includes it, but I understand DSR does not. The other reservation I have is ICP testing your source water and then incorporating those elements into your salt mix. In Louisiana, I do not recommend that. We just do not have good water in this state.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
If we use an RODI to get water at 1-2 ppm TDS, is that not OK for using this or other methods?
I get 1ppm on RODI. But that is not the issue. I asked (Glenn?) on his other forum about the salt. I recall his response was they test the tap water and then supplement the elements to make up the difference between the tap water and the NSW levels. I can think of several areas where that is a great idea and can save some money on a high quality salt mix. I would not recommend that approach anywhere in Louisiana. If we aren't taking our water out the Mississippi, we are pulling it out from under a swamp lol. It just isn't going to be good without RODI. Once you go RODI, all salts are more or less (anti-flame suit on) the same.

Last edited: