ARC Reef

Users who are viewing this thread

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
I recently ordered some live rock from them as I thought I’d give them a try. Their company seems legit as their coralline algae in a bottle is on multiple sites I deal with. Their live rock has not been available since 2017 from what I can see due to a hurricane that hit back then. If they were just trying to sell product they would have been selling rock the next year even if it wasn’t seasoned enough. A few things I don’t like. They are not shipping my order till July which is fine, not ready for it and I can wait. Second, after purchasing 35# of their premium rock I see they sell packages of 40# on Amazon for cheaper then I paid for 35#. Confusing and I plan to call them and try and get some more rock at least. 3rd, they have what looks like stock photos of the rock and not what I’m use to seeing on KP Aquatics. If your selling a product show the customer what they can expect to receive not a dolled up picture of the rock. Lastly I’m a little concerned about the shipping. It’s not next day air it’s UPS and it’s shipping would take about 3 days. They do ship in about 1/4 full of water with wet towels to cover the rest.
has anyone gotten rock from them or heard anyone getting from them? I would have gotten from KP aquatic but they are out of the premium. Thoughts?

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
( sounds of hearing aid whistling and my glasses on my nose ) Setting the stage here.

Back in the good ole days I brought in rock from distributors in the USA and transshipped from a few places across the large ponds.
Received both packaged in some water and Packed in just wet paper towels and such to keep ''moist''.
Both methods were about the same amount of die off, the smell is unique meaning not smelling like the rock in your tank.
This rock will need to be cured again and can happen in your tank to jump start your cycle from the little die off.
The beneficial bacteria is still alive and active which will process the die off.
Any loose debris, dead sponge or types of calcareous algae that is too far gone can be removed by brush and rinsed in bucket of water.
Shrimp and crabs including some corals, sponge and other lifeforms will be fine and start to grow and or thrive in your tank.
Most of the time you will be fine with three day shipping, they should be placing cold packs in the foam ice chest to combat the higher temps.

You should get some interesting critters along with the rock so just keep an eye out for different crustaceans and starfish. Make sure to check at night too when some like to come out more than in the day.
For anyone you are concerned about being ''reef safe'' just catch them in a bottle with some food and store in the sump till you figure out what they are.
I sure miss those days of getting rock in from all around the world and the sheer amount of life that came with said rock.
make sure to take some pics before during and after of what you get and what you find.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
So my rock will be shipped soon. They are giving me an option for next day air that would be shipped with a damp towel. For some reason they are advising against it. Other option is 2 day ground with 2-3 gallons of water. Which would be better? Need some opinions please!!

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
This is the rock I will be getting hope it looks this good when I get it
1A2DEE4E-C157-4A0A-814F-8AF44720F424.jpeg
E143C480-4203-4722-82D0-9F09F1209F0F.jpeg
8A0C0F74-89B2-41EF-A13C-E4F2DC881DFD.jpeg
1253ABFC-606F-45A6-AE10-68028CCDC93D.jpeg
D19B280A-0616-4AEA-B75C-0DB2DB5D4F2E.jpeg
9ED2B663-AFAC-4CEE-9AB6-91FC75F845B5.jpeg
4C9C2613-8B16-4932-823E-C77F1FD492D5.jpeg
FBBB9114-F44A-4504-B5D6-21D2DF5BD99C.jpeg

BigRed

Kole Tang
LARC Supporter
A wet towel is ok for a few hours. But the live rock needs to be fully submerged in saltwater after that. I just bought a tank and kept over 100 lbs of live rock in brute trash cans with a power head for two weeks..

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Looks good. My only concern is shipping this time of year, the high temperatures seem to lead to more die off on the rock. Have your water ready to receive the rock, and then have some water ready for your water changes. Rock die-off is exponential if you let things get out of hand.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
Looks good. My only concern is shipping this time of year, the high temperatures seem to lead to more die off on the rock. Have your water ready to receive the rock, and then have some water ready for your water changes. Rock die-off is exponential if you let things get out of hand.
Yeah that’s my concern as well. After talking to them they were telling me they have had limited success on shipping where it takes longer than 2-3 days. They were experimenting with different techniques to ship with the high temperatures. That has been one of the causes for delay. Couldn’t ask for better communication since contacting them though. I’ve been texting back and forth with the guy and they even let me pick out what pieces I wanted because of all the delay. Hope they can get it out soon but I’m thinking air may be the better option with the high heat even if it is in wet towels.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Yea, air is the way to go if you can afford it. Not just money either, you would probably have to pick it up at the airport.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
Yea, air is the way to go if you can afford it. Not just money either, you would probably have to pick it up at the airport.
Their air option is fedex and it ships to my house and no extra charge. They are still not recommending that option saying it will loose more color with no water in the bag. I’m more worried abou it’s heating up in the back of a truck for 2 more than likely 3 day in transit. Need to make a decision today. I don’t know

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Their air option is fedex and it ships to my house and no extra charge. They are still not recommending that option saying it will loose more color with no water in the bag. I’m more worried abou it’s heating up in the back of a truck for 2 more than likely 3 day in transit. Need to make a decision today. I don’t know
Yea, not sure what I would do. If I had to do this now, I think I would prefer to ship in water. The rocks should at least be in styrofoam containers and the water will provide some thermal mass to help regulate the temperatures. The issue with the air freight, while you get it faster, you have no control over how long the rock sits out in warehouses/on tarmac waiting to load and unload the plane and that entire time it is not in water. I think I would go with the rock supplier on this one.

TBS might be the only ones who air ship in water. Too bad their rock is so freaking dense and does not really have any interesting shapes.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
Yea, not sure what I would do. If I had to do this now, I think I would prefer to ship in water. The rocks should at least be in styrofoam containers and the water will provide some thermal mass to help regulate the temperatures. The issue with the air freight, while you get it faster, you have no control over how long the rock sits out in warehouses/on tarmac waiting to load and unload the plane and that entire time it is not in water. I think I would go with the rock supplier on this one.

TBS might be the only ones who air ship in water. Too bad their rock is so freaking dense and does not really have any interesting shapes.
That’s what I decided to do. Will ship out Monday evening and should arrive Wednesday. Didn’t want to go against their recommendations and have it turn out bad. Hoping for the best.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
Well I got 1 of 2 box s in. Looks like for whatever reason one box shipped out Monday and the other on Tuesday. Haven’t been able to get an explanation yet but all went well with the first shipment. No dead or decaying smells, smelled pretty fresh honestly. Had a water bottle that I assume was frozen in the box. 4 black garbage bags held the few pieces of rock that was also wrapped in a wet towel. Small amount of water in the bottom but the towel was sopping wet. Had a handful of dead crabs and starfish in the bottom of the bag. Did get a small shrimp that survived though. We will see if he comes out later on after lights out. Colors look very similar to the photos they sent me prior to shipment, so very little color loss. Hopefully the other box shows up tomorrow.
889DFF48-7BCE-4A02-BE95-C775531609A5.jpeg
9A0FC989-E408-4BA3-9C20-5B0457623759.jpeg
37F18FDA-BF10-4196-B77F-B25B17E5F753.jpeg
5E3673FE-7DD0-4804-BC07-0A25250521FA.jpeg
03100BFE-738D-438B-83B0-46703A56835F.jpeg
CCAD8F77-A41F-4608-B1ED-E443B5361DF6.jpeg
D8CE3357-5312-442A-9EF6-4D3B7C19D32E.jpeg
1A9BED45-172A-4889-B220-70D77CCE6B06.jpeg
A7E48A68-414A-43AE-9685-A8D4CC4ABF18.jpeg

Attachments

• BE0B65E4-EE6B-43E9-83A2-1B28B310969A.jpeg
    BE0B65E4-EE6B-43E9-83A2-1B28B310969A.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 5

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Very nice, I suspect the second box will be fine. This rock reminds me of the Gulf-View rock more than the other bid vendors.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Nice looking rock! 'Thumbs_up_green'

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator