Blue hippo companion

Users who are viewing this thread

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
Looking to add a new tang or tangs to my tank. I currently have a 90 gal with a 2” blue hippo and a pair of clownfish. Was looking at adding a new tang to the tank and looking for suggestions on which would be a good companion. I know my Blue tang will outgrow my tank in a few years but I do plan on upgrading to a 265 or 300 within the next couple years. With that would you think it would be ok to add another small tang or 2 to my system. Was looking at Kole, Mimic lemon peel, Tomini and Convict since they are all smaller tangs in general. Really like the Lemon peel. Which one or pair would you suggest if any. Open to other suggestions as well.

The GOB

Blue Hornet Zoanthid
Administrator
POTQ Winner
I'd go with Kole or Tomini from that list. The Mimic is an Acanthurus-- they can be aggressive especially in smaller confines. Convicts tend to wither away.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
I'd go with Kole or Tomini from that list. The Mimic is an Acanthurus-- they can be aggressive especially in smaller confines. Convicts tend to wither away.
The Kole was my first choice until I started looking at others. Any others that you would recommend?

The GOB

Blue Hornet Zoanthid
Administrator
POTQ Winner
Any of the Ctenochaetus sp would be a good option. Zebrasoma sp would work if you intend to upgrade within a couple of years. A couple of the Naso sp would work in the next tank but they grow really quick and would outgrow a 90 in short order. Acanthurus sp will work in the next tank but they're aggressive and should be the last fish added.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
Any of the Ctenochaetus sp would be a good option. Zebrasoma sp would work if you intend to upgrade within a couple of years. A couple of the Naso sp would work in the next tank but they grow really quick and would outgrow a 90 in short order. Acanthurus sp will work in the next tank but they're aggressive and should be the last fish added.
Would you think a Kole and Tomini would be ok together or Kole and Yellow tang

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
I would go with mixing the kole and Yellow as well.
If you like the chevron tangs you could mix that one with both yellow and kole.

In a 90 gallon keeping tangs is frowned upon by many in the hobby though its possible to do with smaller species
A couple of things to consider from my personal experience with a 90 and multiple tangs within.
Make sure your rock scape has plenty of hiding / sleeping places so each can have their own spot they like
Keep them well fed, good protein skimming and filtration is a must as they poop like cattle.
Having two separate nori clips works out best with multiple tangs.
Ensure your rock scape does not take up most of the tank and leaves plenty of open space for swimming bottom to top of the tank.
Have plenty of flow, helps keep them active in a passive way by having currents to swim against and ride through the tank, plus helps keep the O2 levels as high as they can be which is a plus for the whole system.

Last but not least, be prepared to witness, stomach and ride through some aggression and or times of pecking order establishment. Its not uncommon for tangs to beat one another up including cutting pretty bad in the beginning or introduction and sometimes just for no good reason after they have got along for years together. They are tangs and most of them like lots of space to call its own.