Bryopsis treatment

Users who are viewing this thread

The GOB

Blue Hornet Zoanthid
Administrator
POTQ Winner
Peroxide works. Pour over the algae, reapply with a brush for four minutes, and rinse thoroughly with tank water. I had a large rock covered and it never came back after doing the above. It'll kill everything it touches so be careful.

CenlaReefer

Toadstool Leather Coral
LARC Supporter
What size tank do you have? A foxface fish is at times will eat that stuff if it is not fed too much other food.

Last edited:

CenlaReefer

Toadstool Leather Coral
LARC Supporter
If I had a large enough tank and had to deal with that stuff again, I would consider removing all other fish and placing only a foxface in there and only feed it every other day to increase its appetite.

I have used household peroxide / SW for a 50/50 dip many times on LPS and zoas to kill GHA. I only keep them in there for about 2-3 minutes. There is a more scientific thread out there to give a better procedure.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
Was hoping that by dosing small amounts to the tank water it would help slow it down and eventually kill it? Don’t want to have to pull the rock if I don’t have too. It’s small patches all over. The tank is 60 gallons. 4ft long. I do have a fox face in my other tank. I guess worst case I could try and put him in there temporarily to see if would eat it.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
I’ve heard raising magnesium up to 1500 may help as well. Any truth to this?

The GOB

Blue Hornet Zoanthid
Administrator
POTQ Winner
That worked back in the day if you used Kents Tech-M. It had some ingredient that would kill Bryopsis. They changed the formula and it quit working. They allegedly went back to the old formula but I haven't tried it since the alleged change.

ETA-- if definitely worked but could get expensive depending on tank size

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
I would transfer the fox face into the tank and just feed him sparingly, the fish should eat it up as long as its not the super tough fibrous type

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
That worked back in the day if you used Kents Tech-M. It had some ingredient that would kill Bryopsis. They changed the formula and it quit working. They allegedly went back to the old formula but I haven't tried it since the alleged change.

ETA-- if definitely worked but could get expensive depending on tank size
May give this a try. Will have to see where I can get a big enough bottle.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
I would transfer the fox face into the tank and just feed him sparingly, the fish should eat it up as long as its not the super tough fibrous type
I’ll have to try and catch him. I’ll see if I can get a good picture of it to post on here for ID.

CenlaReefer

Toadstool Leather Coral
LARC Supporter
If the foxface is the only fish in the bryopsis tank and fed sparingly, it may eat any type of bryopsis. I heard that fish has a strong appetite. It could even eat coral if it gets hungry enough.

Very often when I have to get a fish like that out, I end up taking 95% of the rock out. I should try a trap one day. My prior foxface liked to hide under some rock or in a cave of some sort. It was impossible to catch with a net at night. Clowns and some other fish stay out in the open during the night and can be easy to catch.

Last edited:

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
This is what I’m dealing with
5B923A0D-D793-413C-9166-38D0EFAF6F67.jpeg
2DBAB568-1B4A-4577-9243-82E866770996.jpeg
701E467F-50DE-4AE7-912E-B35F63D91F15.jpeg
FD93F3A1-4F39-4ED9-87B8-BABF345824A0.jpeg
793F99FF-3A6B-4002-AB00-CA4087F9DAA8.jpeg

The GOB

Blue Hornet Zoanthid
Administrator
POTQ Winner
Can you get a close up with a macro lens? That looks more like a Cladophora or Enteromorpha sp