Calibration question

Users who are viewing this thread

BumpaBaaby

Marine Betta
Should I calibrate my Apex to my Manual Testing or is the solution good enough? I ask because I noticed my Hanna Alkalinity checker is considerably higher than Apex reading

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Should I calibrate my Apex to my Manual Testing or is the solution good enough? I ask because I noticed my Hanna Alkalinity checker is considerably higher than Apex reading

I would calibrate both to the factory instructions using the factory recommended calibration solutions. Between the two, Hanna is probably more accurate ;). Why? Hanna is a lab testing equipment company with an industry reputation for quality lab and industrial grade testing probes, analyzers, checkers, etc and will not sacrifice their quality to get a few more customers. Neptune is a hobby grade controller company that no longer stays in its lane and sacrifices quality across the board. A little bias in my response? Absolutely! Prove me wrong :D

Do make sure you are thoroughly cleaning the Hanna checker vial with RODI between usages. I do not know how the Trident cleans the vials between usages or prevents residual build-up from skewing the results over time, I suspect its is an aquarium water rinse and the vials are kept full/wet between use - fine as long as their is a rinse. But if you are not cleaning the Hanna checker between usages and allowing tap water or aquarium water to remain in the vial, you will skew alkalinity higher. You can test this by attempting to check the alkalinity of RO/DI water. If you get a reading above 0, then you are not adequately cleaning your equipment.

Other than that, the only thing I can suggest is purchase yourself a known alkalinity standard (or make your own) and perform the test on this standard using both pieces of equipment. You will need a large beaker or other container where you can measure out exactly 1 liter or water (or any other known volume) and then a scale to measure out alkalinity supplement. I would probably add some table salt, calcium chloride and magnesium sulphate to match salinity, calcium and magnesium concentrations so you have a fixed sample more representative of actual aquarium water. What is important is it must absolutely contain no carbonate or other "-ates", "-ites" or "-ides" as those all contribute to alkalinity.

Cigmin

Harlequin Tusk
Trident should come with calibration solution to make sure working as designed. Use to keep ur trident working properly. When done use the solution with your Hanna. My Hanna checker was . 4 off from the solution.

Man thing is just stick to one reader for consistency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BumpaBaaby

Marine Betta
Trident should come with calibration solution to make sure working as designed. Use to keep ur trident working properly. When done use the solution with your Hanna. My Hanna checker was . 4 off from the solution.

Man thing is just stick to one reader for consistency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hanna read 8.6 with the calibration of Trident solution. The solution is supposed to read 8.3 but it’s been open 48 hrs…I rechecked my tank water and it’s still reading 9.7.

I won’t worry about it. Everything looks good and those numbers are within range..