Calling water flow gurus!

Users who are viewing this thread

V3NOMUS

Neon Goby
So I messed up and happened to have to bring my wife to petco yesterday for some crickets and worms for the hedgehog. While strolling around, I seen all their Aqueon basic tanks are 50% off. I've been wanting to build/start up a tank for my betta fish. I have a top fin betta falls tank right now for the 3 I have and absolutely hate it. So I picked me up a 40 gallon breeder for $50 brand new. I'm going to section it off and build an internal filter on the back wall with media baskets and all. I'm going to build it to return flow into the middle section,, then overflow onto the 2 outer sections.. Basically when done, their going to go from about a little over a half gallon tank each, to a little over a 13 gallon section each. I'm trying to get everything laid out before I start purchasing and building.

My question is this. For my return pump, should I figure up for a 40 gallon return, or a 14 gallon since that's the first chamber It'll hit?

Thanks!

Typlus5

Neon Goby
LARC Supporter
I would think you should size the pump for slow moving 40 gals at your desired turn over rate. Is it possible to install a header and fill each of the compartments equally?

V3NOMUS

Neon Goby
Probably could. I was thinking about a 200-240 gph (5-6 times an hour turn over rate). This is kinda what I had in mind. I figured the return in the center would help with water movement there, then powerheads in the 2 outer compartments would help with any stagnate waters there.

20210503_170048.jpg

CenlaReefer

Blue Hornet Zoanthid
LARC Supporter
This looks very interesting!... Following along. Notify us on this thread if you start a separate build thread for this system.

V3NOMUS

Neon Goby
I was planning on a Sicce 0.5 return pump pushing 185 gph for the middle compartment, and a Maxi Jet 600 in the 2 outer compartments push 160 gph. Think that's too much?

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I think you would be ok, but for bettas, I am thinking the Sicce 0.5 split 3 ways is more than enough. I don't think I have ever seen these fish in tanks with powerheads and I have to wonder if they are probe to get stuck on the intake screen or something. Freshwater fish do not require the high turnovers we are used to in marine and they don't usually have dissolved oxygen issues that saltwater can have.

V3NOMUS

Neon Goby
Everything I seen for bettas online say about 4 times the size of the tank, that's why I decided on the sicce 0.5 and maxi jet 600. Figured by the time they all break in after w little while, the flow rates should be around 4 times the rate. Idk. We shall see I guess. With 14 gallons to swim around, I'm sure they'll find they're little corner if need be. Lol!