Cigmin 105

Users who are viewing this thread

Cigmin

Harlequin Tusk
Well I am finally adding another tank to the family. I am so excited to start this venture but at the same time there are so many decisions. Do I go bare bottom? What layout I want for the scape? Fish? Coral? Inverts? O my!!!

Let’s just Start with the cleaning..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cigmin

Harlequin Tusk
Plumbing, so many options. Not sure I want to use the corrugated flex tubing

Attachments

• 8E3C1B67-04C6-45BB-AA46-9C3023A10348.jpeg
    8E3C1B67-04C6-45BB-AA46-9C3023A10348.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 4FBD64BF-EF41-430B-B036-3BD9DEB60C13.jpeg
    4FBD64BF-EF41-430B-B036-3BD9DEB60C13.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 121

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
The flex tubing IF solid / smooth on the inside can be a great thing for making connections a bit easier for most applications.
I find that they are a bit more noisy with water movement VS PVC pipe.
Cleaner look in my opinion using PVC pipe, last longer and does not move or bounce like the flex tubing, plus you can use a few unions in the design so you can remove sections and clean them every year or two keeping things clean and running smooth.

Cigmin

Harlequin Tusk
Great info thanks. Going look into pvc. Prob order some of that fun color ones.

Cigmin

Harlequin Tusk
Cleaning rocks this week and trying remove that nice calcium ring build up in the glass.

I ordered and extra case of elbow grease from amazon

arab

Bangaii Cardinal
Nice meeting u today brother !

Cigmin

Harlequin Tusk
Alright need help guys. Can not get this water/calcium built up ring off tank. Used vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda, lime away ( very little) and a hex from madam laveau. And a case of elbow grease.

Thoughts?

Cigmin

Harlequin Tusk
Razor blade?

Yes I tried that very little but I am sooo scared to scratch tank. Treading very lightly .

I hear people usingbarkeepers friend.. but you know that you tube lies sometimes ;)

Cigmin

Harlequin Tusk
Alright need help guys. Can not get this water/calcium built up ring off tank. Used vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda, lime away ( very little) and a hex from madam laveau. And a case of elbow grease.

Thoughts?

I am using cloth t shirts sponges with green pad

CenlaReefer

Table Acropora
LARC Supporter
Is Lime Away reef safe? Does anybody know if there’s a safe way to apply muriatic acid to that build up? I have painted it onto concrete with a brush to rough-up the outer surface. It makes lots of bad fumes and dangerous to your skin, yet I am certain it will dissolve that stuff. I see that you’re doing that in the garage. Be sure the door is open and gloves if you try it. It is rather inexpensive and can be found at either Lowe’s or Home Depot. I read elsewhere that vinegar it can cause powerheads to swell. I have personally witnessed vinegar causing damage to my MP 10 wetside. Muriatic acid in a very low dose is better on plastics and reef equipment.

Kirk_M

Chevron Tang
LARC Supporter
You can fill the tank all the way with water and then add muriatic acid to it. It will drop the pH really low, fast, and only. a little is required. If you add only 1 quart to 10,000 gallons of water, it will drop the pH from 8.4 down to 7.6 (almost ten times more acidic). Always add acid into water, never water into acid -- it will explode violently if you do. Let it run for half an hour with some circulation (clean your pumps in it!) and then carefully drain it out. As CenlaReefer stated, make sure you have eye and skin protection, and avoid the fumes.