Kole Tang
What am I?

#1 Sponge, glue or other
AC32F4D2-1F8F-4817-A8A1-0A2B4E839D84.jpeg

3FAAB851-E445-4805-873F-1FB242FAD9C0.jpeg

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
First/Second photo looks like tunicates to me. Camera angle makes the surface tough to make out. The surface appears smooth, which rules out sponge IMO. I also have a "white" sponge in my tank that has completely overtaken the underside of one of my rocks, it is not clear like that. Also the surface of most sponges I have had are rough and full of small holes clustered around larger holes. What you have looks more like a central hole with a clear body surrounding it, so more likely a tunicate. But again, camera angle may not be capturing the surface correctly.

Your next photo looks like it's the same critter. Except this time, I can see the surface structure, so I will go with a sponge on this one.

I wonder if both of these are an encrusting sponge commonly called the Breadcrumb sponge, however I have not seen this one in clear before.

A key difference I can tell between sponge and tunicates is when they deflate. The sponge will have a stand of sharp looking rods standing up from the surface, where as tunicates just seem to deflate like a balloon.

The last photo I am not sure, but I have seen it in my previous tanks when they are new. Are they hard and glass like?

Pêcheur

Kole Tang
First/Second photo looks like tunicates to me. Camera angle makes the surface tough to make out. The surface appears smooth, which rules out sponge IMO. I also have a "white" sponge in my tank that has completely overtaken the underside of one of my rocks, it is not clear like that. Also the surface of most sponges I have had are rough and full of small holes clustered around larger holes. What you have looks more like a central hole with a clear body surrounding it, so more likely a tunicate. But again, camera angle may not be capturing the surface correctly.

Your next photo looks like it's the same critter. Except this time, I can see the surface structure, so I will go with a sponge on this one.

I wonder if both of these are an encrusting sponge commonly called the Breadcrumb sponge, however I have not seen this one in clear before.

A key difference I can tell between sponge and tunicates is when they deflate. The sponge will have a stand of sharp looking rods standing up from the surface, where as tunicates just seem to deflate like a balloon.

The last photo I am not sure, but I have seen it in my previous tanks when they are new. Are they hard and glass like?
So #1, it’s pretty hard to gauge what’s going on. When I first got it I thought it was super glue to attach the Yuma. But I’ve recently noticed vents, which you can see if you zoom in. I was surprised because I would have thought exposing the rock to air would have killed any sponge. I’ve never really noticed it inflate/deflate, but it’s not really clear so much as a smoky white mat/colony with tubes/vents, it does appear very smooth though.

#3 - I’ve never touched it so I can’t say if it’s hard/glass-like.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I was surprised because I would have thought exposing the rock to air would have killed any sponge.

Only some sponge, not all.

#3 - I’ve never touched it so I can’t say if it’s hard/glass-like.

Vermited snails will grow glass like tubes, they are pretty sharp and unmistakable I think