Custom sandbeds for wrasses

Users who are viewing this thread

CenlaReefer

Table Acropora
LARC Supporter
I noticed that I do much better at maintaining a reef tank going bare-bottom, yet I really like wrasses. What do you all think about using tupperware with sand in it for the wrasses to sleep in?

CenlaReefer

Table Acropora
LARC Supporter
Thanks! Anyone else have experience with this? I plan to use something rather large yet not too deep. I will put rock around it to hide the sleeping place.

smileyjoe

Ko-Ko Worm
Administrator
POTM Winner
I don't see why it wouldn't work since tubberware with sand is used in qt for wrasses. I guess it just depends on how many wrasses you want and how big of a tubberware you want in your tank. My melanarus wrasse take refuge under a barnacle cluster in the sand. My cleaner wrasse takes refuge inside the same barnacle for nighttime.
20201227_075603.jpg

CenlaReefer

Table Acropora
LARC Supporter
I don't see why it wouldn't work since tubberware with sand is used in qt for wrasses. I guess it just depends on how many wrasses you want and how big of a tubberware you want in your tank.
Perhaps QT tanks are primarily where I have seen it done prior. I wonder if there is any downsides to the practice for years of the life of the fish.

CenlaReefer

Table Acropora
LARC Supporter
I personally don’t think it would be a problem, but if you are going BB, how much of a PITA is it going to be cleaning up the sand that comes out of the container. I look at it like a cat litter box. You will always be cleaning up substrate IMO.
I know what you mean! I may do something large and deep that will have less spillage. I was surprised how much mess my Melanurus wrasse was after I brought it home. I regularly have to blow off my corals because they get covered in sand. Perhaps I will shoot for a quasi-bare bottom... just an ultra thin spread of sand on the bottom. I plan to change things up today and give it a try.

Last edited:

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
I’ve actually seen where someone was making wrasse “houses” out of rock. Basically a bowl made out of reef rock that you put sand in for wrasses.

actually a pretty good way to disguise the sand hold using small rocks and rubble.
If you could get a hold of a ceramic bowl of the right type (non toxic) like a reptile water bowl and epoxy rock around it that would make it look natural

BryanJr

Detritus
I noticed that I do much better at maintaining a reef tank going bare-bottom, yet I really like wrasses. What do you all think about using tupperware with sand in it for the wrasses to sleep in?
Some wrasses don’t require sand at all. Below is a good write up I’ve referenced in the past.
“Only these genera require sand; other genera sleep in a mucus cocoon in the rockwork or crevices: Anampses, Halichoeres, Macropharyngodon, and Pseudojuloides.”

skydirt

Cleaner Shrimp
I’ve actually seen where someone was making wrasse “houses” out of rock. Basically a bowl made out of reef rock that you put sand in for wrasses.
I just did the same thing with rock towards the back of my tank. I made a island with two mangroves and a 6in deep sand bed. Its hard to see but the rest is bare bottm. I will get better pic tomorrow. Tank is new with some carry over from old frag tank

Attachments

• 20210112_164133.jpg
    20210112_164133.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 33

CenlaReefer

Table Acropora
LARC Supporter
My next wrasse will be a fairy type (hopefully a Scott's wrasse if I can find one and get it QT'd professionally). I have to get the 90 gallon DT setup and cycled 1st. That Scott's wrasse makes a cocoon to sleep in.

I do LOVE the personality of my Melanurus wrasse and would like to keep it. It will need the sand bed. I just picked-up this deep glass bowl today. I plan to put it at the back wall of the 90 gallon tank. I am thinking of making a crescent-shaped rock structure in front of it. I will plan to build a 2nd piece (1/2 "cap") somewhat in imitation of that fine work of art shown by @Jkennedy. Pictures to follow!

Attachments

• 20210120_125533.jpg
    20210120_125533.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

CenlaReefer

Table Acropora
LARC Supporter
I tried the glass bowl and filled it 3/4 full of sand. The wrasse did not like it. I made a more natural looking shallow bed using a piece of scrap glass for a bottom. The corners and sides are concrete that are reinforced with eggcate. I will use rock with coral around it to help it blend into the tank to look more natural. I decided to go against the 1/2 dome top since the Melanurus like to dive-in from above.

20210202_093147.jpg

16122801432508155339290660799921.jpg