Users who are viewing this thread

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
6lilfish (Scott) gave me a great deal on a lightly-used BRS dosing pump. I hooked it up on cheap dial timer to dose pure water into my Avast kalk stirrer. I LOVE this setup! It is more than enough to handle evaporation for my coral QT system which includes a 20 gallon display and 30 gallon sump.

I am having most of the dosing done at night to help with pH.

Last edited:

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I use the same setup. I disperse 3 liters a day through that same Avast Kalk Stirrer (K1 I believe) and I do another 2 liters a day bypassing the kalk stirrer. That other 2 liters varies seasonally. I have never or added float switches to the system, although I have been meaning to for notification purposes, not control.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
This can work well for most tanks as far as stability goes with Salinity.
Heck I used my first head on my bubble magnus doser for three years topping off my 90 gallon.
I just figured out the amount of water the system evaporated daily in gallons then converted to ml and went with it.
From what I had going this was stable enough to keep an sps heavy mixed reef stable so I would think that the BRS doser would be similar only you are having to factor time into the equation.

Good score on the Brs doser too, its nice to have such a community of reefers / members here on Larc that we can buy, sell and trade with each other to get what is needed.
Look forward to seeing an update on the tank.

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
I use the same setup. I disperse 3 liters a day through that same Avast Kalk Stirrer (K1 I believe) and I do another 2 liters a day bypassing the kalk stirrer. That other 2 liters varies seasonally. I have never or added float switches to the system, although I have been meaning to for notification purposes, not control.
I understand that in the winter; however, during other times of year, would it be overdose if ALL your top off went through the kalk stirrer?

Last edited:

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I understand that in the winter; however, during other times of year, would it be overdose if ALLyour top off went through the kalk stirrer?

No, not anymore. When the tank was new, yes it was based on test measurements. Now I have so many corals and coraline nuggets that I could run it all through and be fine, I just never adjusted it. But honestly, I do find the Avast Kalkwasser does not do a good job of maintaining 100% kalk saturation. Overtime, the solution dilutes even though I maintain a healthy kalk substrate on the bottom. So I measure and manually adjust alk weekly and I use this to determine when the kalk reactor needs to be serviced. I did install a conductivity probe to monitor it, but I find the Apex does not reliably measure conductivity at such a low range - just as it does not reliably measure pH at such high ranges either. Also, in the summer I find my evaporation to be 3L kalk plus 2L RO/DI per day. In the winter, it becomes more variable with outdoor humidities from 3L kalk plus 1L RO/DI to 3L kalk plus 3L RO/DI per day. Bottom line is over the course of a week, it still averages the same. I could run all 5 liters through the kalk reactor daily I suppose and it would just reduce the amount of 2 part I dose weekly.

mrmaytagg

Harlequin Tusk
I just find 2 part to be easier. I have not seen many tanks that 2 part cannot keep up with tank demand. Ive never been a fan of kalk because its based on evaporation which can vary widely. It always needs to be adjusted, which defeats the "auto" goal. Yes, i understand that 2 part is not a set it and forget it but its a lot less adjusting if you ask me.

Just my .02 that no one requested.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I just find 2 part to be easier. I have not seen many tanks that 2 part cannot keep up with tank demand. Ive never been a fan of kalk because its based on evaporation which can vary widely. It always needs to be adjusted, which defeats the "auto" goal. Yes, i understand that 2 part is not a set it and forget it but its a lot less adjusting if you ask me.

Just my .02 that no one requested.

That is why my kalk is fixed to 3L daily, it does not fluctuate and has not been adjusted in over 2 years.

mrmaytagg

Harlequin Tusk
That is why my kalk is fixed to 3L daily, it does not fluctuate and has not been adjusted in over 2 years.
I guess im missing the point of both. I started with kalk and when it couldnt keep up with demand i moved to 2 part. If it ever cant keep up ill go to a ca reactor. Is this a cost thing if why you run 2 things? Is the added cost of extra 2 part greater than the cost of kalk? Even when you add in the cost of the extra equipmemt?

I also do not like equipment. So i guess that also skews me as well. Just one more thing to maintain and i might be the laziest reefer.

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
I never plan on keeping any SPS corals except the more durable ones like montipora and stylos. Kalk fits my needs and reefing style. Kalkwasser is a perfectly balanced solution that helps maintain alk, ph, and Ca. Is that right? To me it is easier and has less room for error. It always bothered me that I could dose either too much of one of two parts if dosing kalk or alk solutions. Knowing my tendency toward error, I may even mix one solution of the 2-part too strong.

For years I have been using a drip method with RO line and an often tweaked shut off valve, yet I hate how the drip method is so inconsistent. Sometimes it would just stop altogether. The dosing pump is always accurate. That's what I love.

Last edited:

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I guess im missing the point of both. I started with kalk and when it couldnt keep up with demand i moved to 2 part. If it ever cant keep up ill go to a ca reactor. Is this a cost thing if why you run 2 things? Is the added cost of extra 2 part greater than the cost of kalk? Even when you add in the cost of the extra equipmemt?

I did some cost analysis a while back and kalk cost about 10% of two part. So I use a fixed volume of kalkwasser every day to reduce the amount of two part I need. All in saving a dollar.

i might be the laziest reefer.

Nothing wrong with that but I'm sure there are a few people here who can beat you for that title.

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
I will be starting the 125 out with the Avast stirrer and an Avast dosing pump. Later I will move to a calcium reactor, since I already had one and used it on the 140. I plan to probably split my top off up also - some through the stutter and some straight to the sump. I usually use two pumps also, since I have had pumps fail (while I was out of town, of course). The second pump will likely be an Aqualifter though.

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
I will be starting the 125 out with the Avast stirrer and an Avast dosing pump. Later I will move to a calcium reactor, since I already had one and used it on the 140. I plan to probably split my top off up also - some through the stutter and some straight to the sump. I usually use two pumps also, since I have had pumps fail (while I was out of town, of course). The second pump will likely be an Aqualifter though.
I hate the Aqualifter. I went through 3 of those in less than 4 years when I ran a HOB overflow when I first started reefing. That was a nightmare! Drilled overflows are the only way to go. Still, I am sure it is OK for light duty work.

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
I hate the Aqualifter. I went through 3 of those in less than 4 years when I ran a HOB overflow when I first started reefing. That was a nightmare! Drilled overflows are the only way to go. Still, I am sure it is OK for light duty work.
I have several of them and they work just fine for top off. The only one that screwed up on me, was because it sucked up some trash from the bottom of the ATO reservoir. It was then that I started using their little pre-filters and never had any trouble out of them after that. They ran for years. The one on my nano has been in service for about three years now and I have never even cleaned it. I think they are a good value. I will use the Avast dosing pump on the 125 for my main pump, but will use the Aqualifter for redundancy.

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
I also do not like equipment. So i guess that also skews me as well. Just one more thing to maintain and i might be the laziest reefer.

If my use of kalkwasser cannot keep up with the demands of my corals, I will have to get rid of some SPS corals and move towards more low-demand LPS corals. I do not think I am the laziest reefer on LARC, yet I am likely in the top 20.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
If my use of kalkwasser cannot keep up with the demands of my corals, I will have to get rid of some SPS corals and move towards more low-demand LPS corals. I do not think I am the laziest reefer on LARC, yet I am likely in the top 20.

I have you listed as #17 out of the bunch -bonk-

Kalkwasser by itself will not manage my tank. But I will do the 3 liters daily and supplement with two part weekly.