Feb 2021 Winter Storm

Users who are viewing this thread

CenlaReefer

Table Acropora
LARC Supporter
I thought it would be good for folks to post about what challenges everyone is facing in the midst of this winter storm. We are currently running on a generator. I guess there was ice accumulation on trees causing downed branches that cut off power. Below is my 20 gallon softie-dominant tank. I was so thankful to have the generator primed and with extra gas to spare. Considering how chaotic things have been, a generator is just as important as a stove or oven in my book.
16136109473715564936729646958952.jpg

Here is another with my shoplight showing how we are "camping-out." The whole family plans to sleep together in the living room tonight.
16136112707585018260105101843153.jpg

Lazyfish

Fire Shrimp
I posted about this in my tank thread aswell but I guess I'll put it here too. I just got power back a bit ago as an esential worker I've been trapped at work since monday morning and got back very late yesterday evening. Power at my house went off monday afternoon. I couldnt hook up a generator being at work and my parents had to go hook it up while I was gone but it's not a very big one cant run the heat in the house. They couldn't get the lights on without the app and are not tech savy enough to use it. The heaters triped out the generator so couldnt use them.I dont normaly run heaters but I have some on hand fat lot of good that was. The tanks got dangerously cold. My poor mother kept heating bottles of water on the gass stove and floating them in the tanks day and night untill I was able to get home to take care of the tanks. I finaly got the lights on and they started warming up but it wasnt enough so I surounded the sides of my tank with candles that also raised the ambient temp in the room and slowed heat loss I was finaly able to stabilize the temp. I have damage to sevral corals but the worse is my pink and green chalice. My pleco is also acting weird very uncoordinated falling off the tank wall and things I hope she will bounce back. Some parts of the plants in the tall planted tank are mushy and wilted. If it wasnt for my mother with the heat packs everything would have probly died. Also built a fire in the fire place havent used it in years...Love the fireplace but the heat dosnt reach the side of the house where the tanks are very much if at all. Last night I camped out in the living room with the fireplace. The cats and dog all piled into the sofa bed too.

Last edited:

marine_tibby

Flasher Wrasse
We lost power the first night but had it that night. We lost power all today and just got it back a few hours ago. My house was hovering at 50f for about 8 hrs. Lots of stressed things, my splendid Dottyback looking the worst.

CenlaReefer

Table Acropora
LARC Supporter
We lost power from about 11:45 yesterday (Wednesday) morning until 9:00 this morning. Below are the culprits. The ice on the trees is beautiful in my opinion, yet not good for tree limbs and power lines. My 2 tanks are both OK.
16136627883188445309277487466136.jpg

16136628492116769904952759949839.jpg

Last edited:

oimate842005

Reefers Anonymous
Global Moderator
LARC Supporter
Glad to hear you guys are alright. Here in Lake Charles we lost power Tuesday morning for about 6hrs which stuck at work felt like 24 hours, lol. Being I didn't know how long power would be out for, I got my brother to hook up a generator to power the tank. Luckily I labeled all cords so talking over the phone guiding him to plug in the return pump and heater cord we were able to get things circulating. The tank did dip down to 68 degrees over the course of 6hrs but I escaped with only a couple of sps bleaching. Little planning and preparation for emergency situations can go a long way.

Now after 2 hurricanes and an Ice storm in less then 6 months time I will be getting a whole home generac in the next year.

CenlaReefer

Table Acropora
LARC Supporter
Now after 2 hurricanes and an Ice storm in less then 6 months time I will be getting a whole home generac in the next year.
I am thinking of going this route as well yet it would have to be down the line a bit. I figure we can get a few more years from our current generator. It is nice to read how some folks have dependable family nearby.

Bigfish

Black Perc
Best decision I’ve made by getting a standby Generac after going thru numerous power outages in this dreadful south Louisiana heat and humidity. Now with 4 tanks and 2 QT tanks, it’s all well worth while. After several lengthy outages, it costs .58 cents per hour to operate.

CenlaReefer

Table Acropora
LARC Supporter
We lost power the first night but had it that night. We lost power all today and just got it back a few hours ago. My house was hovering at 50f for about 8 hrs. Lots of stressed things, my splendid Dottyback looking the worst.
Matt, what is going on now? I missed reading this message until today.

If it wasnt for my mother with the heat packs everything would have probly died.
Your mom rocks! ':yay:'

Pattie

Cleaner Shrimp
Woke up Monday to 4 degree temps outside and house 66. Then Swepco turned the power off for the planned outages they didn't warn us about before hand. Took about 30-45 minuted to get the generator all hooked up.( we have to pull it out of the back of the house through double doors, around the house to the front porch then run cords through the kitchen window to different areas.) Other then being blessed with the generator we also have a fireplace. With both those going the house still dropped down in the 40's. Tanks dropped down to about 72 degrees Added extra heaters, small space heater and hot water bottles and got tanks back up to around 74 degrees. After 3 hrs. power back on. My large heater in the 240g ended up dying though.
I know we have been so blessed so far. Reading stories of some total loses and so many people have been without power or water since Monday. My Niece finally made it to our house yesterday to stay the night. They have been without water since Monday and some other friends have been without water or power since Monday and they are too far away to help. Prayers for everyone out there and we are almost done with this crap so hang in there.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Tanks dropped down to about 72 degrees Added extra heaters, small space heater and hot water bottles and got tanks back up to around 74 degrees.

This is fine for a few days.

We lucked out in New Orleans so did not have the power outages experienced elsewhere. I have a 6500W portable generator I have used for hurricanes. This will not run my AC or heater. One of the things I have purchased was some 1" polyiso board, but I have not cut it to size yet. My plan is to cut these to size and save in the attic. Then when we lose power (summer or winter), I will have rigid insulation pre-cut and ready to wrap my tank into an ice chest. The idea is not to maintain any specific temperature, but rather to retard the temperature changes as much as possible. There is obviously a low point where life just can't be saved, but if we could slow the changes in temperature down, that would give us a little more breathing room.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
have a fireplace

Fireplace has been helpful. Once temps drop below 30, my furnace cannot keep up the entire house. The fireplace, normally used for aesthetics more so than practical heat, starts proving its worth at the lower temps. Eventually I need to fix my insulation and air seal the house...one day.

marine_tibby

Flasher Wrasse
Matt, what is going on now? I missed reading this message until today.
The day the power went out and the tank dropped I knew it was going to burn out my heater trying to fight the cold to get back up to temp. Went straight to BRS and ordered a new Titanium heater that normally goes with the InkBird. I ended up putting in my extra heater but those only help if you have power.

In all honesty, I was much more worried about family things than the tank. I did the same thing during the hurricanes. There is only so much energy I can give to such a 1st world luxury issue when it seems like your world is coming apart.

Grabloids

CrossHatch Trigger
Apparently the winter storm messed everyone up pretty bad, the only people I don't think suffered was Amazon. They are persistent to say the least. I ordered some things from BRS way before some Amazon packages.....guess who plowed through the snow and got here first lol

LsuHunter

Copepod
Baton Rouge got hit hard by power outages because of so much ice, my tank went 3 days without power. I was out of town and my home generator failed on Monday evening after we loss power that morning. I had somebody go and cover my tank with a lot of blankets until I got home on Wed. Water temp was 60 degrees when I got home, thank goodness I have an all in one with a tight fitting hood that kept heat in. I immediately removed everything dead and started heating the water back with hot water bottles warmed on the stove. I added the remaining alive fish to a 5 gallon bucket with parts of my rock work that had my favorite corals and went to my in laws for the night since they had power. I finally got power back Thursday afternoon and immediately went back and did a big water change with water I bought from the fish store. I also added fresh chemi pure bags and brought the tank back up to temp and added my livestock back. Some coral never missed a beat and others never had a chance. The only euphyllia that survived was a Duncan, and I have an octospawn on life support. Hammers and torches are all goners. Some zoas opened in the 5gal bucket under a freshwater light, some melted away in the tank, and some are still closed and TBD. The few Sps frags I had all died, softies are all on life support. Most rbta were dead on the sand bed but the largest one was still alive and attached to the rocks. Clean up crew seemed to all survive. I think the water was so cold that nothing decomposed and spoiled the tank like I expected. I thought I was coming home to a complete loss so I am somewhat lucky. I took water samples before and after the water change and their was no trace of ammonia or nitrite. So while I lost some fish and half my coral, some still pulled thru and my tank is actually still stable. Now it’s just time to slowly start the replacing phase.

My 5 year old has a small freshwater tank in her room and they forgot to cover it. All of her fish died but again, the water was so cold that nothing decomposed. I did a 100% water change and restocked it yesterday. All of the bacteria in both tanks seemed to pull thru.

Also had my generator looked at and the price to replace the fried motherboard is about 25% of the cost to replace the entire generator with a new one. It is 11 years old so I have that decision to make before hurricane season...

Grabloids

CrossHatch Trigger
Baton Rouge got hit hard by power outages because of so much ice, my tank went 3 days without power. I was out of town and my home generator failed on Monday evening after we loss power that morning. I had somebody go and cover my tank with a lot of blankets until I got home on Wed. Water temp was 60 degrees when I got home, thank goodness I have an all in one with a tight fitting hood that kept heat in. I immediately removed everything dead and started heating the water back with hot water bottles warmed on the stove. I added the remaining alive fish to a 5 gallon bucket with parts of my rock work that had my favorite corals and went to my in laws for the night since they had power. I finally got power back Thursday afternoon and immediately went back and did a big water change with water I bought from the fish store. I also added fresh chemi pure bags and brought the tank back up to temp and added my livestock back. Some coral never missed a beat and others never had a chance. The only euphyllia that survived was a Duncan, and I have an octospawn on life support. Hammers and torches are all goners. Some zoas opened in the 5gal bucket under a freshwater light, some melted away in the tank, and some are still closed and TBD. The few Sps frags I had all died, softies are all on life support. Most rbta were dead on the sand bed but the largest one was still alive and attached to the rocks. Clean up crew seemed to all survive. I think the water was so cold that nothing decomposed and spoiled the tank like I expected. I thought I was coming home to a complete loss so I am somewhat lucky. I took water samples before and after the water change and their was no trace of ammonia or nitrite. So while I lost some fish and half my coral, some still pulled thru and my tank is actually still stable. Now it’s just time to slowly start the replacing phase.

My 5 year old has a small freshwater tank in her room and they forgot to cover it. All of her fish died but again, the water was so cold that nothing decomposed. I did a 100% water change and restocked it yesterday. All of the bacteria in both tanks seemed to pull thru.

Also had my generator looked at and the price to replace the fried motherboard is about 25% of the cost to replace the entire generator with a new one. It is 11 years old so I have that decision to make before hurricane season...
Man that's terrible. Hope the rest make it. The sad part of all of this is hurricane season cranks up in about 100 days. No breaks for Louisiana