Fish Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Redfish

Peacock Mantis Shrimp
Now that the new Chalice tank is soon to be on its way to me ,, a 48x24x15 ,, this tank will be a stand alone tank ,, its not going to be tied into my so called ,, SPS display tank ,, I am wanting to make a plan on the fish that will be going into it ,, the plan is ,, I have no plan ,, all my want to have looker fish will be going into the SPS tank ,,

The lighting over the Chalice tank will be two Radion XR15 G4 Pros ,, my research says the Chalices would do best with a Par number ,, say in the 115 range ,, my research shows ,, some keep their Par number in the 100 to 125 range for good chalice growth ,, that's how I came up with the 115 number kinda in the middle ,, with very little light in the white spectrum ,, maybe for a hour or so during the day ,,

The reason for telling you all this light info is ,, the plan is to keep the light in the Blue Spectrum mostly ,, was not sure if this mostly blue spectrum lighting would effect advice when it came to fish choices ,, this tank won't be set up as a Chalice frag tank ,, I am planning a sand bed,, a rock scape ,, CUC will be mostly snails ,, a Nassarius snail or two at some point ,, a Conch or two at some point ,,

I am not really wanting to make this a fish display tank ,, but have always read ,, corals and systems ,, do better with fish in it ,, about the only fish I was planning was a small Yellow Tang at some point to help with algae control ,, the only other fish I would like to have would be a Naoko's Fairy Wrasse ,,, only because I have read ,, from several sources ,, this fish is better off being the only Wrasse in a tank ,, this tank might just be the place for it ,, just a thought ,,

So ,, what other fish should I be planning for this tank ,, I don't want to over do it ,, would like to keep it at a minimum ,, but I want a healthy system ,,

Humblefish

HF
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
If it's going to be a Chalice tank, definitely stay away from any "reef safe with caution" kinda fish. I'm talking about dwarf angels, blennies, butterflies, etc. Wrasses are going to be your best bet, and maybe a harem of anthias if you don't mind feeding 2-3x daily. Other good choices would be: Basslets, Cardinalfish, Chromis, Firefish, small Gobies.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
"Reef safe with caution" kinda fish seem to really enjoy eating acans and chalices for some reason. :D

Must be the Prime Rib of corals lol

I have a filefish that nibbled on a favia then after that has not touch anything.

I think filefish have that reputation though, even the aptaisia eating ones.

If it's going to be a Chalice tank, definitely stay away from any "reef safe with caution" kinda fish. I'm talking about dwarf angels, blennies, butterflies, etc.

I would recommend experimenting with Atlantic pygmy angels, Cherubfish, and Atlantic blennies "Molly Miller" and "Red Lip" (Red Lip being very aggressive). These seem to be much better behaved and more true to their herbivorous nature than the others. Butterfies I agree with.

Redfish

Peacock Mantis Shrimp
maybe a harem of anthias if you don't mind feeding 2-3x daily. Other good choices would be: Basslets, Cardinalfish, Chromis, Firefish, small Gobies.

These are the kinda of fish I want in it ,, don't really want a lot ,,, but the tanks needs a few anyway ,, Can you mix different types of Anthias in a tank or is it best to just stay with one type ? I will put the Nako's in there ,, I had read ,, its best to make them the only Wrasse in the tank though ,,

Humblefish

HF
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Can you mix different types of Anthias in a tank or is it best to just stay with one type ?

I personally would stick with just one species. Bimacs, Lyretails, Squarebacks are the largest and most aggressive.... but also the hardiest and easiest to QT.

Bartlett's, Ignitus, Resplendent aren't too bad either. But I wouldn't touch any of the deep water species (e.g. Tukas, smithvanizi).

For every male you'll need 4-5 females to spread out his aggression, because the male constantly pesters/dominates the females to suppress them from turning male.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
because the male constantly pesters/dominates the females to suppress them from turning male.

I do the same thing to my wife and so far it has been working