Fish gulping for air

Users who are viewing this thread

Stoned

Flame Wrasse
LARC Supporter
POTQ Winner
POTM Winner
I had two fish that would gulp for air only after eating. Pellets, nori and mysis. They would gulp for a hour or so, depending on how much they would eat. I use the word gulp, as bubbles comes out the gills. I already lost two fish that did this. They did this for months before the just stopped eating and died. I have a third fish doing the same thing. He started when the other two was still alive. I treated the tank with prazi twice. Back to back doses with the skimmer off. I searched the internet for gill and intestinal diseases but could not find anything which describes what is going on here. I know I don't have an oxygen problem. I always have the return just under the water surface so there is plenty of oxygen. So any one have any ideas?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Could be Ich in the gills or flukes. Gill flukes are more difficult to fully eliminate with prazi than skin flukes.

When doing the second dose of prazi, did you use the below treatment calendar?

Stoned

Flame Wrasse
LARC Supporter
POTQ Winner
POTM Winner
Just did a water change before first treatment and salinity is at 1.026. Temp never goes below 78 degrees. Dosed on Friday the 10th and second dose on Friday the 17 th. Skimmer is off and I did not do any water changes.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
The only other silent killer I can think of that would cause this would be Ammonia present in the tank which would damage the fish gills.
Possibly could have been damaged at some point before you got the fish into your tank.
Mention this as food for thought only.
I would be more inclined to think gill flukes, Ich or the like having seen your tank several times knowing your flow is good and tank taken care of.

Stoned

Flame Wrasse
LARC Supporter
POTQ Winner
POTM Winner
Why gulp for air only after eating. And for only 1 to 2 hours. I would think that if it was flukes or ammonia, they would be gulping for air just about all the time. Ammonia would affect all fish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Why gulp for air only after eating. And for only 1 to 2 hours. I would think that if it was flukes or ammonia, they would be gulping for air just about all the time. Ammonia would affect all fish.
What were the two fish that died?

Stoned

Flame Wrasse
LARC Supporter
POTQ Winner
POTM Winner
A male swallow tail angel and a foxface. Both were at least 4 inches.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
A male swallow tail angel and a foxface. Both were at least 4 inches.
So, many times I've seen rabbitfish swallow air and blow it back out their gills. That seems to be normal behavior for them. Rabbitfish are also pretty well protected against Ich: A novel protein isolated from the serum of rabbitfish (Siganus oramin) is lethal to Cryptocaryon irritans - PubMed

If it weren't for the fact that you're losing fish, I would say don't even worry about this. IF a disease is causing this, I still think Flukes are the most likely explanation. Some strains require 3x weekly doses to completely eliminate, and some even seem to be resistant to praziquantel entirely. For the latter, I typically have to use Fenbendazole (which is not reef safe): Fenbendazole – Marine Fish Diseases and Treatment

There is also hyposalinity, but again not reef safe.

Stoned

Flame Wrasse
LARC Supporter
POTQ Winner
POTM Winner
So, many times I've seen rabbitfish swallow air and blow it back out their gills. That seems to be normal behavior for them. Rabbitfish are also pretty well protected against Ich: A novel protein isolated from the serum of rabbitfish (Siganus oramin) is lethal to Cryptocaryon irritans - PubMed

If it weren't for the fact that you're losing fish, I would say don't even worry about this. IF a disease is causing this, I still think Flukes are the most likely explanation. Some strains require 3x weekly doses to completely eliminate, and some even seem to be resistant to praziquantel entirely. For the latter, I typically have to use Fenbendazole (which is not reef safe): Fenbendazole – Marine Fish Diseases and Treatment

There is also hyposalinity, but again not reef safe.
Thanks, I will try to catch him and treat him as you recommend. I keep a QT tank set up. Corals are looking really stressed from 2 weeks of prazi. I did a water change this morning.

Last edited:

Stoned

Flame Wrasse
LARC Supporter
POTQ Winner
POTM Winner
Couldn't catch him. Did another water change and gonna treat the tank longer this time around.

Stoned

Flame Wrasse
LARC Supporter
POTQ Winner
POTM Winner
Do you need a fish trap ?
Yes, the door jams and doesn't close completely. Can't figure out why. Thought I could just scoop him up since he is at the water surface a lot. But as soon as he sees the net, he darts behind the rocks.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Yes, the door jams and doesn't close completely. Can't figure out why. Thought I could just scoop him up since he is at the water surface a lot. But as soon as he sees the net, he darts behind the rocks.

Send me a text, I've got one either here in the garage or in my storage unit.

Stoned

Flame Wrasse
LARC Supporter
POTQ Winner
POTM Winner
After 4 days of more prazi, 4 tangs has loss appetite and lethargic. More water changes and carbon to remove the prazi. He will be getting a fresh water dip to see what falls off. Gotta catch his azz first.