Fish list help please

Users who are viewing this thread

Nightfire

CrossHatch Trigger
Cleaners should be fine although they may become reclusive w/ a potential predator in the tank. Small shrimp such as Sexy and the small shrimp online vendors sell would be on the menu. When online vendors list a shrimp as "small" they really mean tiny. Nass should be fine as the only time they're out is when easier food is available.
Great advice as I was thinking of getting two sexy shrimp, but I'd hate to see the cleaners hide. I do like the corris though so I'm not sure

Nightfire

CrossHatch Trigger
Let me ask, I know I'm ok with having a two spot brittle tooth tang in my tank and that'll be my last addition, but could I get away with a yellow tang too? I won't be interested in rehoming him or other fish so if I'd have to then I wouldn't want one. If I could have both tangs and had to lighten the load then I would.

Nightfire

CrossHatch Trigger
Stick with just the Two Spot.
OK, will do. How bout out of these, which two would mix well? I prefer the anthias and the dotty back.
Screenshot_2020-07-03-18-29-47.jpeg
Screenshot_2020-07-03-18-50-20.jpeg
Screenshot_2020-07-03-18-09-50.jpeg
Screenshot_2020-07-03-18-02-53.jpeg
Screenshot_2020-07-03-18-35-30.jpeg

The GOB

Table Acropora
Administrator
POTQ Winner
The Dottyback and Damsel are both pretty aggressive. Your passive Firefish and Gramma aren’t gonna be happy. The Chromis would be fine if you can get it through QT. No issue with Jawfish or Sunburst.

Nightfire

CrossHatch Trigger
The Dottyback and Damsel are both pretty aggressive. Your passive Firefish and Gramma aren’t gonna be happy. The Chromis would be fine if you can get it through QT. No issue with Jawfish or Sunburst.
OK so absolute final fishlist is
Royal gramma and
Equisite Firefish or purple Firefish

Ruby Fairy Wrasse

Sunburst anthis

Yellowhead jawfish

Ocellaris clown, 2, not plain

Two spot bristletooth tang

Any ideas who all I can QT together in my 10 gallon. I'd like to do two clowns next, but could I do 3 fish at a time?

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
My list is this.....
Banded Sleeper goby (inDT)
Lawnmower blenny (in copper QT)

the future ones are.....
Royal gramma and

Ruby Fairy Wrasse

Banggai cardinalfish, 2

So my question is can you guys suggest one or two replacements for the cardenals because I forgot those fish like to just sit there. I'd like personality, active Ness and color.... All three would be great.

After my blenny goes in I might get the clowns for a month's round of copper then into the DT and on to the next. I'd like to QT two or three fish at once.

I only have a 10 gallon QT also..

OH my tank is a 75

Sorry I am late to the party. Deja vu?

the future ones are.....
Royal gramma and
On the royal grammas and firefish, again, I would pick one and stick to it. Both of these fish have the same territorial and feeding habbits and this is asking for trouble. Definitly the purple firefish and royal gramma together is asking for trouble. There are some reports of people doing it without issue, but I would not risk it. If you do royal grammas, you can develop a harem, but you have to do it in DT. The firefish, the reds and purples are occasionally available as mated pairs but I cant speak to how that works in captivity.

So my question is can you guys suggest one or two replacements for the cardenals because I forgot those fish like to just sit there. I'd like personality, active Ness and color.... All three would be great.
The fairy wrasse would fit this bill nicely, so yea I agree keep the cardinals out as they don't match your preference.

Plain is natural and everything else is a freak of nature '!TR!'

Perfect for your tank. My only concern is cohabiting with a blenny and they both graze on algae. Plan on providing nori sheets.

Well I'm wrong on two points, I thought Ocellaris would host BTA.
One of the biggest misnomers of the hobby. They may end up hosting a coral instead and that does not work out well for the coral.

All large angels, except Genicanthus sp, are all but guaranteed to do some damage when it comes to coral. Dwarf angels tend to be 50/50. Colorwise- Flame and Bi-color angels are my personal favorites. Flames tend to be the hardier of the two.
Excellent points, I would add the Atlantic pygmy angels to this list. I have a mated pair and they are model citizens. My tank is a 110 gallon, so the same footprint as your 75gal. Just to clarify, this would be instead of the tang, not in addition to the tank. I suspect the angel, blenny and tang will get into too much turf wars, pun intended.

Would getting a dwarf angel as small as possible help and eating frozen everyday for a month, if that could even happen
Not really, they sometimes ignore coral for years and then start nipping overnight.
They are natural grazers, so if there is nothing to graze...

I do rather fully reef safe
Stick to the tang.

Limited to reef safe I'd go with a Pearly Jawfish. It makes up for the limited swimming with tons of personality and is absolutely stunning.
Like the wrasse, these are jumpers, so you need a top. Also, jawfish are best at home with a deeper sandbed, otherwise they will stress out. Their natural habitat is under the rock/sand. They will build their own home and you need sufficient large substrate rubble for their construction. I am redoing my tank now to house jawfish (build thread coming later). This is doable, but you will need to respace your tank for it.

Don’t think any trigger would be recommended for a 75. Only trigger I can think of that I’ve seen in a reef tank would be a Blue throat. They also will rescape you’re tank for you from what I’ve read.
Yeah, I missed that. Not in a 75. There have been a few triggers in reef tanks, no CUC is safe with them, but corals will be left along. You will need a bigger tank lol.

Yeah. Would one more Wrasse mix with the fairy one I want?
Very limited options.

Would a six line be OK with the other fish?
Not the other wrasse.

Get a yellow coris wrasse.
Not with this fish list and not fully reef safe. Wrasses are complicated as the compatibility does not fit neatly in a chart.

I've read the are with caution
Can someone comfirm if the Yello corris Wrasse really reef safe or is it with caution like I've read
You said you wanted "Reef Safe" above. You have to decide how reef safe are we talking here. If fully reef safe, yellow coris is out. I would avoid the entire Halichoeres family unless reef safe is no longer the goal.

Large ones will eat small inverts.
If it is small enough to be in a reef safe tank, it is small enough to be on the tapas list for a Halichoeres

When it comes to reef compatibility, this is not really a boolean trait. Our hobby dumbed it down to a 1 of 3 checkboxes, but it does not work this way. You have to consider small reef-fish, snails, crustaceans, select corals, all corals, the rock itself, etc. The Halichoeres wrasses (such as Yellow Coris) are reef safe, as long as you don't have smaller fish and clean-up crew members; larger fish and corals will be fine. For that matter, a hogfish (Bodianus wrasse) are arguably reef safe with caution, just the definition of a "smaller fish" moves over to the right a few steps (right is bigger). Same with the angels. Your dwarf angels are reef safe, but they are natural grazers and we do not have enough food for them to forage on, then they will pick on the corals (coral mucus). They are not eating the corals, but the stress on the corals does cause their demise.

Let me ask, I know I'm ok with having a two spot brittle tooth tang in my tank and that'll be my last addition, but could I get away with a yellow tang too? I won't be interested in rehoming him or other fish so if I'd have to then I wouldn't want one. If I could have both tangs and had to lighten the load then I would.
No, not in a 75.

Some generic advise I can give you that you did not ask for :D is to think about how the reefs are stocked naturally. Planktivore fish dominate the populations and these are your open water feeders. These will include your anthias, damsels, chromis, clowns, dartfish, gobies (most of them), grammas, etc. These are fish we actively feed and what people think of when they say I want a fish tank. These are generally compatible with each other, however spatial territory must be considered (does everyone have a place to hide and sleep).

Then you have your grazers and these will be the angels, blennies, butterflies, tangs and other similar. These fish are limited in nature and most of them cover large ranges. For these fish, it is best to pick your "show fish" and keep the numbers limited. These are also the fish that get into "reef safe". Some are herbivorous grazers (tangs and some pygmy angels), others are coralivores (most, but not all butterflies) and other specialty feeders (most large marine angels are spongivore). The great debate on these fish gets into their behavior when the natural food source is available. Again, the key here is to limit these in your tank...in a 75g pick ONE. Blennies are more general grazers and can co-exist with other grazers, but usually other blennies...some are herbivores (lawnmower) but most others are general feeders.

You also have your general carnivores, which will be hawkfish and the smaller basses, which you do not have any on your list and these are the ones that will eat some of your CUC but are otherwise considered reef safe. My hawkfish for example ate all my shrimp, but leaves crabs and snails along.

Finally, you have the wrasses, which are little pricks because they won't pick one trophic category and stick to it lol. You have to look at them on the genus level. For your tank size and experience level, I would stick to the fair wrasses, Cirrhilabrus. Just for reference to back above, these are considered planktivores and is why they are perfect for reef tanks.

While I no longer recommend Live Aquaria for online fish purchases, I do recommend their site for fish selection guidance. Their tank sizes are probably the most reliable in regards to tank size and fish dimeaner.

Nightfire

CrossHatch Trigger
Sorry I am late to the party. Deja vu?

On the royal grammas and firefish, again, I would pick one and stick to it. Both of these fish have the same territorial and feeding habbits and this is asking for trouble. Definitly the purple firefish and royal gramma together is asking for trouble. There are some reports of people doing it without issue, but I would not risk it. If you do royal grammas, you can develop a harem, but you have to do it in DT. The firefish, the reds and purples are occasionally available as mated pairs but I cant speak to how that works in captivity.

The fairy wrasse would fit this bill nicely, so yea I agree keep the cardinals out as they don't match your preference.

Plain is natural and everything else is a freak of nature '!TR!'

Perfect for your tank. My only concern is cohabiting with a blenny and they both graze on algae. Plan on providing nori sheets.

One of the biggest misnomers of the hobby. They may end up hosting a coral instead and that does not work out well for the coral.

Excellent points, I would add the Atlantic pygmy angels to this list. I have a mated pair and they are model citizens. My tank is a 110 gallon, so the same footprint as your 75gal. Just to clarify, this would be instead of the tang, not in addition to the tank. I suspect the angel, blenny and tang will get into too much turf wars, pun intended.

They are natural grazers, so if there is nothing to graze...

Stick to the tang.

Like the wrasse, these are jumpers, so you need a top. Also, jawfish are best at home with a deeper sandbed, otherwise they will stress out. Their natural habitat is under the rock/sand. They will build their own home and you need sufficient large substrate rubble for their construction. I am redoing my tank now to house jawfish (build thread coming later). This is doable, but you will need to respace your tank for it.

Yeah, I missed that. Not in a 75. There have been a few triggers in reef tanks, no CUC is safe with them, but corals will be left along. You will need a bigger tank lol.

Very limited options.

Not the other wrasse.

Not with this fish list and not fully reef safe. Wrasses are complicated as the compatibility does not fit neatly in a chart.

You said you wanted "Reef Safe" above. You have to decide how reef safe are we talking here. If fully reef safe, yellow coris is out. I would avoid the entire Halichoeres family unless reef safe is no longer the goal.

If it is small enough to be in a reef safe tank, it is small enough to be on the tapas list for a Halichoeres

When it comes to reef compatibility, this is not really a boolean trait. Our hobby dumbed it down to a 1 of 3 checkboxes, but it does not work this way. You have to consider small reef-fish, snails, crustaceans, select corals, all corals, the rock itself, etc. The Halichoeres wrasses (such as Yellow Coris) are reef safe, as long as you don't have smaller fish and clean-up crew members; larger fish and corals will be fine. For that matter, a hogfish (Bodianus wrasse) are arguably reef safe with caution, just the definition of a "smaller fish" moves over to the right a few steps (right is bigger). Same with the angels. Your dwarf angels are reef safe, but they are natural grazers and we do not have enough food for them to forage on, then they will pick on the corals (coral mucus). They are not eating the corals, but the stress on the corals does cause their demise.

No, not in a 75.

Some generic advise I can give you that you did not ask for :D is to think about how the reefs are stocked naturally. Planktivore fish dominate the populations and these are your open water feeders. These will include your anthias, damsels, chromis, clowns, dartfish, gobies (most of them), grammas, etc. These are fish we actively feed and what people think of when they say I want a fish tank. These are generally compatible with each other, however spatial territory must be considered (does everyone have a place to hide and sleep).

Then you have your grazers and these will be the angels, blennies, butterflies, tangs and other similar. These fish are limited in nature and most of them cover large ranges. For these fish, it is best to pick your "show fish" and keep the numbers limited. These are also the fish that get into "reef safe". Some are herbivorous grazers (tangs and some pygmy angels), others are coralivores (most, but not all butterflies) and other specialty feeders (most large marine angels are spongivore). The great debate on these fish gets into their behavior when the natural food source is available. Again, the key here is to limit these in your tank...in a 75g pick ONE. Blennies are more general grazers and can co-exist with other grazers, but usually other blennies...some are herbivores (lawnmower) but most others are general feeders.

You also have your general carnivores, which will be hawkfish and the smaller basses, which you do not have any on your list and these are the ones that will eat some of your CUC but are otherwise considered reef safe. My hawkfish for example ate all my shrimp, but leaves crabs and snails along.

Finally, you have the wrasses, which are little pricks because they won't pick one trophic category and stick to it lol. You have to look at them on the genus level. For your tank size and experience level, I would stick to the fair wrasses, Cirrhilabrus. Just for reference to back above, these are considered planktivores and is why they are perfect for reef tanks.

While I no longer recommend Live Aquaria for online fish purchases, I do recommend their site for fish selection guidance. Their tank sizes are probably the most reliable in regards to tank size and fish dimeaner.
All insightful and helpful, say I replaced the jawfish and the Firefish, could I do 3 juvenile grammas?

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
My QT is only 10 Gallons so maybe 2 grammas then?

You can do 3, you want to ensure you get small ones though. Bigger ones may have already matured to males.

Nightfire

CrossHatch Trigger
You can do 3, you want to ensure you get small ones though. Bigger ones may have already matured to males.
So if I could do three small ones in my QT, I suppose I'll need a few pieces of pvc? Right now I have live rock in there due to my blenny. I do have two pieces of pvc though

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
So if I could do three small ones in my QT, I suppose I'll need a few pieces of pvc? Right now I have live rock in there due to my blenny. I do have two pieces of pvc though

small size will work from grammas. Some scrap 1" pieces is more than enough.

Nightfire

CrossHatch Trigger
small size will work from grammas. Some scrap 1" pieces is more than enough.
Will do. So then the list looks like this.

Banded goby (in DT)

Lawnmower blenny (in QT)
Royal gramma (3)

Ruby Fairy Wrasse

Sunburst anthias

Ocellaris clown (2)