Fish suggestions for 80G tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bigfish

Black Perc
I’m finally able to concentrate on my tank, now that almost all the repairs have been made to the house caused by Ida.
I am down to a pajama cardinal and yellow tail damsel, both original to me since 11/2017. Due to my not properly maintaining my tank since Ida I lost 12 fish, mostly wrasse and a pair of long nose hawkfish. My tank is now bare bottom, which I now like, so no sand loving fish. I will be getting 2 black storm clownfish from Seth when he orders again, and possibly a pair of LN hawkfish, and possibly a 6 line wrasse. Any suggestions of other fish I could add?

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Important to state your goals regarding corals/inverts/aggression before we can answer. 80 gallons is on the fence IMO for tangs. Yellows and Bristletooth work. I like @The GOB opinion on dwarf angels and you might pull off a harem depending on the rock work. If not a harem, you could get the larger boisterous ones...but again, depends on coral plan.

Blennies would work with either (or both) tangs/dwarf angels and work with what you have.

Is the damsel staying? If so, you will need more aggressive fish....in which the clowns should fit that bill well.

Bigfish

Black Perc
Important to state your goals regarding corals/inverts/aggression before we can answer. 80 gallons is on the fence IMO for tangs. Yellows and Bristletooth work. I like @The GOB opinion on dwarf angels and you might pull off a harem depending on the rock work. If not a harem, you could get the larger boisterous ones...but again, depends on coral plan.

Blennies would work with either (or both) tangs/dwarf angels and work with what you have.

Is the damsel staying? If so, you will need more aggressive fish....in which the clowns should fit that bill well
Damsel staying so says wifey. Corals will consist of the lps and softies. No sps. I don’t want coral munching fish, no tangs

CenlaReefer

Toadstool Leather Coral
LARC Supporter
I belive a 75 gallon is the minimum size tank for a Tomini (flame fin) tang. I sure miss the one I had years ago in my 75 display tank. What do you plan for algae control if you do not want to go with a tang? I recently got a starry blenny. It is a super shy, gentle fish. It nips algae off the rock.

Bigfish

Black Perc
I belive a 75 gallon is the minimum size tank for a Tomini (flame fin) tang. I sure miss the one I had years ago in my 75 display tank. What do you plan for algae control if you do not want to go with a tang? I recently got a starry blenny. It is a super shy, gentle fish. It nips algae off the rock.
I had an issue with GHA several months ago and I bought 2 blue Tuxedo urchins and they are awesome at taking care of the algae, as long as it is short. If I let a patch get an inch or so long I pull it off and the next day it’s gone. They go near it if it’s too long

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Some have reported problems with dwarf angels with LPS, but I have mixed Atlantic cherubfish angels with fleshy LPS and no issues. Something to consider. Healthy cherubs were hard to find, so I went diver direct, such as KP Aquatics, for better results.

Bigfish

Black Perc
Some have reported problems with dwarf angels with LPS, but I have mixed Atlantic cherubfish angels with fleshy LPS and no issues. Something to consider. Healthy cherubs were hard to find, so I went diver direct, such as KP Aquatics, for better results.
Thanks for that info. I will look into, as I’ve ordered from them before with good results

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Is the Pygmy angle from KP the one you are referring?
That is the one, the cherub. I never had an issue with LP and these little gems. I'm not an SPS person, but I have kept these with gorgonian, favia type (closed brains) LPS, Lobophyllia LPS, and palythoas. I suspect the Yumas and Sinularia will be fine.

I would have a backup plan for any dwarf angels you add that start nipping.
Yes, no free lunch in this hobby. However, I think you will find specifically the centropyge argi is a safe bet. Most reports on the larger hobby boards are in regards to the Pacific pygmy angels, which are more colorful, but also notably larger and more aggressive. Also, consider that this genus is mostly herbivorous in nature, however are tanks tend to be a bit overcrowded and over sterilized. So kind of like showing up at a Golden Coral two hours after dinner, you're going to have to be more flexible on your appetite. My fish were always fed well and thus I did not have any problems. I found mine had a taste for the smaller bugs, so calanus and fish eggs were preferred over brine and mysis. I also did not over aggressively clean my tank, so mine constantly grazed for whatever they graze. I could not always see it.