Food for Tangs

Users who are viewing this thread

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
Looking to see what everyone feeds. I currently feed pellets and nori. Is the frozen foods worth getting to change things up?

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
+1 LRS Herbivore Frenzy is ideal for tangs. I also feed nori 2-3x weekly.
I will give it a try. My blue hippo always acts like he is starving when I feed pellets. I normally feed pellets twice a day and nori daily on a clip for them to pick on while I’m at work. See if I can find it locally

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Frozen food will be better not only for your fish, but overall for your tank IMO. Our inhabitants are programed to eat little tidbits throughout the day, not 2-3 big meals. Frozen food better mimics this pattern as it breaks down and disperses through the tank as the fish eat. The smaller particles then feed smaller animal, all the way down to the juice.

With pellets, you can easily over feed a tank but still underfeed your fish...they appear hungry. With frozen food, you can still over feed the tank, but the fish are so much happier :D

The GOB

Blue Hornet Zoanthid
Administrator
POTQ Winner
My PBT is the only Tang in my tank that will eat pellets and then only PE pellets. I offer Julian Sprungs: green, purple and red algae. It's pretty cheap if you buy the bulk packs and vacuum seal them into smaller portions-- https://premiumaquatics.com/products/fishes-seaveggies-green-seaweed-bulk-pack-300gr.html The red algae was ignored at first but now gets destroyed immediately by the Purple and Foxface. Variety of frozen foods offered throughout the day.

I used LRS in the past and the "veggies" in the Herbivore Frenzy were pretty much ignored and destined for the overflow.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
Just got some LRS Herbivore Frenzy. Will try it out tomorrow morning.
All my fish in the tank thoroughly enjoyed the LRS. Did put a tad too much. Kinda deceiving how much just a small bit breaks up to be. Will still feed the nori but need to get a different clip. By the time they start picking at it it winds up on the sand. Does anyone use this? And how well does it work? Innovative Marine Gourmet Grazer - Gen 3 - Seaweed Feeder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XLYJRCO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UIDADbF9EHR9J

Humblefish

HF
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
All my fish in the tank thoroughly enjoyed the LRS. Did put a tad too much. Kinda deceiving how much just a small bit breaks up to be. Will still feed the nori but need to get a different clip. By the time they start picking at it it winds up on the sand. Does anyone use this? And how well does it work? Innovative Marine Gourmet Grazer - Gen 3 - Seaweed Feeder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XLYJRCO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UIDADbF9EHR9J

I just use a nori clip, but that looks like it would be less messy.

FISH-FOODS-2-x-Seaweed-clip.jpg

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Auto feeder 2 to 3 times per day with mixed pellets including but not limited to :
New life spectrum
SA pellets
Hikarri vegg pellets
Mastic Pellets

two to three times per day mixed frozen slurry defrosted in small container, One full table spoon twice or thrice a day
Mysis shrimp
Oyster feast
Fish eggs / Roe collected and frozen from speckled trout
Chopped / minced Yellow fin tuna
Selcon vitamin added

Snacks offered a few times per month or more
Mastic stuck to glass in couple spots
Nori sheets, try to keep this to minimum due to mess created and I feed heavy on the veggie pellets daily.

Also keep frozen clams on the half shell, coral feast, Krill and brine shrimp