Forum Activity

Users who are viewing this thread

Grabloids

CrossHatch Trigger
Where is everyone? This forum used to be bumping right along. I know a good bit of members were from southern La, hope they made it through the hurricanes ok. Do they still do group buys, grow out contests, meets, etc?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Grabloids

CrossHatch Trigger
Covid strikes yet again, that sucks. What about group buys and grow out challenges? Same thing?

jleblanc26

keep reefing on!
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Yes. Covid has put a damper on things. Utter the words social gatherings in hush tones, haha. We look forward to ramping things up again. There is some legal stuff in back we are sorting through so we can come back better than ever. We are not going anywhere if people are still willing to hang around and nerd out on some reef tanks. Thanks.

Grabloids

CrossHatch Trigger
I'm still a ways away from any of it at the moment, just wanted to see if it still happens.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I've noticed the same thing. Forum activity seems way down and I assume its from Covid. The hurricanes no doubt had an impact too, but nothing like Covid. Personally, my workload has skyrocketed and am more busy at home in my time off than ever before. Now that I only login maybe daily for just a few minutes to keep some attachment to life outside of my house, there is far less activity now. It seems only a year ago I was on 3 or 4 times a day to keep up with everything.

Grabloids

CrossHatch Trigger
I've noticed the same thing. Forum activity seems way down and I assume its from Covid. The hurricanes no doubt had an impact too, but nothing like Covid. Personally, my workload has skyrocketed and am more busy at home in my time off than ever before. Now that I only login maybe daily for just a few minutes to keep some attachment to life outside of my house, there is far less activity now. It seems only a year ago I was on 3 or 4 times a day to keep up with everything.
Yeah, that's what I remember.

oimate842005

Reefers Anonymous
Global Moderator
LARC Supporter
I feel the same, its everywhere not just here. At the beginning of covid were stuck in the house and spending some time with the tank but now that it drags on i think our minds are set on other things, for one 2 hurricanes and an ice storm has kept my tank on cruise control, fortunate to even have a tank after all that. But I hope we can have a meet later this year and get to put some faces to forum names and get a boost in hobby enthusiasm.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
No doubt forum activity has dropped off. :-( I think we've done a good job keeping the forum software up to date, but there's just no competing with those Facebook groups. Hopefully we can get back to having meets again (crawfish/shrimp boils), and that will increase interest + participation.

Grabloids

CrossHatch Trigger
IMO I could see Facebook having some advantage, just with activity alone. I believe the forum is a way better layout. It's organized for one, you're able to go back and look at past things and such. I believe once things get kicked off again it will turn around. Grouo buys and grow outs were my thing. I may have not participated in all of them but it sure was fun watching the threads

jleblanc26

keep reefing on!
Administrator
LARC Supporter
No facebook here. Ill ride off into the sunset if that is ever an option, lol. Stick with us guys. Lets get through this government experiment we call a pandemic. I used a dermal temp gun i had in my truck this morning because i had a little congestion from the snow last week. It read 101. Of course, the first thing i have to suspect was covid. I checked a few more times and it read 100-101. At that point i mad an appointment to get tested. Before i left i took some readings and it was 98 each time. I still had to go get a test because i didn't know which way to believe. It turned out negative and I was allowed to have just a regular ol sinus congestion.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I remember one cold morning I had to bring the kids to carpool. My wife usually does, but had to run to Texas for work that morning. So 4 kids piled into my truck, I cracked the heater up and we waited in line. Im only 5 minutes from the school, but car pool took another 10. When I pulled up to the door, they took my oldest's temperature first, he registered 120F LOL. The look on that teacher's face I will never forget.

Grabloids

CrossHatch Trigger
I remember one cold morning I had to bring the kids to carpool. My wife usually does, but had to run to Texas for work that morning. So 4 kids piled into my truck, I cracked the heater up and we waited in line. Im only 5 minutes from the school, but car pool took another 10. When I pulled up to the door, they took my oldest's temperature first, he registered 120F LOL. The look on that teacher's face I will never forget.
LOL

Cigmin

Flasher Wrasse
the forums are very different compared to the medium being used. There is some good and bad about both. I have seen plenty activity until the last 2 weeks. And for one we don't have to wait for sanctioned events. Heck I been wanting to plan a thirsty Thursday swap to sit at Cafe 20.3 in Lafayette with couple of reef freaks. I am going do that in early march.

Grabloids

CrossHatch Trigger
Someone say get together? Don't let JBE find out! LOL, sounds fun bro

CenlaReefer

Table Acropora
LARC Supporter
I have become so very content with the corals I have in my 2 reef tanks. I really do not want to fit more in the tanks. I am very thankful for that. Perhaps that is why I am not as active as I used to be. I still plan to make some meets.

I have been giving corals to the Alexandria Zoo. That has been fun. Perhaps after I upgrade to my 90 gallon, I can free-up some room in a small tank as QT for coral and inverts.

On another note, I really need to be studying for 2 major exams. I plan to be more active after those are both done later this year. I do find checking-out this forum as a much more wholesome experience than some of the junk I might find to watch on Netflix when I need a break. Three or four times I started watching Netflix series that I just could not finish.

Last edited:

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I have become so very content with the corals I have in my 2 reef tanks. I really do not want to fit more in the tanks. I am very thankful for that. Perhaps that is why I am not as active as I used to be. I still plan to make some meets.

Same here. Right before the pandemic, my tank had crashed with pretty significant losses. During the pandemic, I have nursed most of the corals back to health. I don't have 100% on a few, but all of them that suvived are giving nice PE and great feeding responses in the morning and evening. I have returned to skimmer less for probably a year now and that has helped. Having said that, my tank is in need of a big water change to get these back into balance. But test results have been good.